Menu
Highlighted
Lynjon68
Tuning in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Best WiFi Mesh System to use with Virgin

I currently have a Virgin Netgear Router Super Hub 2ac (VMDG490). As we have a tall thin house I have lots of wifi dead spots which are only marginally helped with wifi extenders. I have read good reports about wifi mesh systems (esp Netgear and Lynksys) and wanted to know which might be best with my router. I have several devices connected to my existing router. I have read that sometimes if you connect a mesh router to your regular Virgin router then not all of the ethernet sockets continue to work. Is that correct?

0 Kudos
TTTJJJ
Dialled in
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Best WiFi Mesh System to use with Virgin

As I have tried several of them I have two recommendations.

Google Wifi is amazing - this is a router so you'd be best placing the Virgin Hub into modem mode if you wish to use Google Wifi. The range on one of the Google Wifi routers is great but adding another will help you get rid of those black spots. Freely buy as many as you need and add/remove them with the super easy app.

The second option I would recommend is BT Whole Home wifi. This is not a router, instead just a wifi access point to allow you to connect to your existing virgin hub network but with greater range. and so you could just plug one of the discs into your Virgin hub in it's normal mode. It's not just for BT broadband and works great with others. Again, an app will help you with placement of the additional access points.

0 Kudos
TTTJJJ
Dialled in
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sorry to further clarify - BT Whole Home will allow all of your existing Ethernet sockets to work, Google Wifi will atop them all
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

... and to further clarify, Google WiFi stops your hub's Ethernet ports because you will be in modem mode.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Also Google WiFi sets up remotely via Google's servers and they continue to monitor its operation, so they learn even more about you than they did before. That may or may not worry you, but it does me.

BT Whole Home has recently been reduced in price, and I have just installed it . Four units give me full coverage of a two floor house, plus the garage and garden.  Very satisfactory,..

Lynjon68
Tuning in
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks. Very helpful.

0 Kudos
Lynjon68
Tuning in
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks. Google's desire to know everything about me worries me too!

0 Kudos
Pingalong
Joining in
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

OK gone down the BT Mesh route and all was working so switched my Hub 3 to Router Mode and it crashed. I could not reset it and Virgin had to come out to reset it (not convinced that they could not have done this remotely). Anyway I have reset everything and have both wifi's working. Plan A at the moment iw just to switch the wifi on the Virgin hub off and allow it to continue to allocate the IP addresses. Is this the best plan or would it be more sensible to go to modem mode and is there a best way of doing this e.g switch to modem mode with everything disconnected then switch on BT etc? I also have a 8 port Gbit switch as I run some cabling so losing ports on the Virgin hub is not an issue. 

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

If you put the Hub 3 into modem mode, then make sure that the 1st BT Mesh disc is connected to the Hub and running before you switch the Hub 3 on. The DHCP in the disc should then be serving IP addresses and should (I haven't tried any of this) claim the external IP address served from VM.

My own recommendation is to avoid router mode and put your own router in between the Hub and the first disc. You should turn wireless off in your own router unless needed due to the BT devices failing.

Your switch may not be of much use in the way you implied. It can't connect to the Hub in modem mode because it isn't a router. The BT Mesh devices have an Ethernet port; the first unit must be connected to your router; subsequent devices can indeed feed your switch, but only at mesh speeds. So watch that.

Keep us posted

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Just for information, I have the VM hub in modem mode, with a separate DrayTek router feeding the BT mesh network. The separate router feeds various ethernet connections, and also has a guest WiFi network on a different wireless channel. I prefer to have guests on a separate network, and they don't need the physical range of the mesh system.