cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Mesh setup recommendations

Carparkno1
Tuning in

Hi all, I've just had a SH3 installed. We're on the maximum fibre of 500+ mbs... Unfortunately the WiFi range on the hub is very poor and we're getting dropouts even in the room it is installed in

I've been looking at a better WiFi router to connect and use with the SH3 in modem mode but am concerned that the coverage may still be iffy. We have a fairly standard four bed detached house. I don't expect to get 500mb in every room, I just want solid coverage. Our BT system was much better despite only being 57mbs as it was stable.

I've been reading up on various mesh systems. Would this be better as our primary concern is stable coverage? We have two TV boxes, four phones, gaming laptops, tablets, PlayStations etc all over the house and need stable WiFi.

What are people's experiences? I've looked at the tenda mw5/6, Google home, tp link M4, bt whole home (will that even work on virgin?). Would I need 2 or 3 nodes?

Any advice or experience would be appreciated. If I could have very stable WiFi at 100mb upstairs I'd be very happy with that. Doesn't need to be more even though we are getting bonkers numbers into the hub with ethernet! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BenCooperVM
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

The BT total home discs are very good I have seen them at work with a standard superhub 3, in a large 3 storey house, one disc centrally located on each floor meant near on 450mbps in every room.

One thing I would consider though is if you out it into modem mode you would them need to buy another router as only one ethernet porrlt works when in this mode. Alternatively you can leave it running as it should and just disable the wifi manually giving you 4 workig ethernet ports and very smooth wifi from each disc, most home of the era will probably benefit from the disc setup, as there are so many things in our home genrally that can interfere with standard wifi transmission now, the mesh system finds a way round that for smooth operation.

Any other questions fire away.

Ben (VM Tech)

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

BenCooperVM
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

The BT total home discs are very good I have seen them at work with a standard superhub 3, in a large 3 storey house, one disc centrally located on each floor meant near on 450mbps in every room.

One thing I would consider though is if you out it into modem mode you would them need to buy another router as only one ethernet porrlt works when in this mode. Alternatively you can leave it running as it should and just disable the wifi manually giving you 4 workig ethernet ports and very smooth wifi from each disc, most home of the era will probably benefit from the disc setup, as there are so many things in our home genrally that can interfere with standard wifi transmission now, the mesh system finds a way round that for smooth operation.

Any other questions fire away.

Ben (VM Tech)

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Thanks so much for this. Could you explain the modem part a little more for me? My. Understanding was in general you put the SH3 into modem mode, then connect an ethernet cable to the new router which transmits the WiFi. Are you saying it is a different operation when using bt whole home?

I'm not fussed about ethernet plugs, my intention is to be totally wireless barring maybe an ethernet from one disc into the playstation. 

Lets start with facts.

The hub 3 is manufactured to a budget and does nothing well. It is a vey poor network gateway with basic functionality and a poor wifi access point. The only good isit can be configure to run as a cable modem.

In this mode, all gateway and access point functionaily are disabled. it will issue 1 network address to the first device to request. This device could be a PC etc and it will sit there on the internet protected by whatever you have installed.

In reality we have multiple device in our home, all trying to use the internet. To achieve this we have to place a gateway between the modem and home networks to impliment Network Adddress translation (Nat) and whatever network security you require. (I use PFsense for this, but most use nat routers) the benefit of the nat routers is that most also have better security and wifi capabilities than the hub 3. so that should be your starter.

Mesh  systems are vogue, but you need to ask youself having done the above why do I still have poor wifi in cetain areas ? if it is the fabric of the building, distance etc. mesh isn't going to help as much as running a couple of cables from the new router to access points in the poorly served areas. BTW, it is often possible to configure cheap routers as access points. You don't need the router functionality so don't need all singing/dancing router. 

Hub4/Gig1-> pfSense->Microtik CRS312/CSS326/CRS305->Meshed Asus RT-AX89X
VM Network - Timwilky

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Multy U for under £100
https://www.zyxel.com/products_services/AC2100-Tri-Band-WiFi-System-Multy-U/design

---------------------------------------------------------------

I've gone for the 3 disc bt whole home WiFi system. Seems to be very solidly reviewed. 

You don’t need to put the hub into modem mode with the BT discs - just disable the WiFi in the hub and use it on the BT discs only. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Are you happy with it? And how did you set it up?

Was just about to order a Mesh for my Hub 3 but thought I'd double check if a Sky Wifi Booster could be used on a Virgin Media Hub 3? I paid over £200 for it a while back and seems a pity to bin it!

Cheers

Charles

@CharlesStunts wrote:

Was just about to order a Mesh for my Hub 3 but thought I'd double check if a Sky Wifi Booster could be used on a Virgin Media Hub 3? I paid over £200 for it a while back and seems a pity to bin it!

Cheers

Charles

No it won’t. Plus they’re usually only rented by Sky and have to be returned. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi