cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Banned IP on New Hub

basement1
Tuning in

So I've just installed my new hub and it seems to be working fine. The issue is that whichever cretin had the IP address I now have has been banned from multiple sites which means I'm now banned from multiple sites. I know it wasn't down to me because it was as straightforward as

• being on a website
  • swapping the old hub for the new one when it arrived
  • waiting for the connection
  • getting the connection
  • going back on the website
  • being told my IP range has been blocked due to misuse

I do plan on bringing this up with a mod who contacted me via private message regarding different issues, but as they aren't online I'd like to know if there's another solution I can use to save both of us the time.

Putting it into modem mode is out of the question because that stops the wifi from working.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Your IP address is assigned by your ISP based on the MAC address of your router's Internet interface, so a hub swap will result in a different IP address.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

VMUser1812
Fibre optic

Honestly, I think you are stuck between a rock and a hard place here. Banning an IP address is entirely the prerogative of the site owners - if they don’t have a means to, or simply won’t, un-ban it, then there is absolutely nothing that you nor VM can do. Unless you can somehow get another hub (which by necessity will change your address), then the only option is modem mode. Yes that does only allow one single device to be connected via ethernet, so you’ll need to spend out on a WiFi router, for most people and uses, around £50 should be enough.

Now, should you have to do this? No! But realistically, you’re on a hiding to nothing, VM won’t (really can’t) change your IP address, it’s not really their problem anyway; and the site owners may or may not be bothered to remove the block. How important is it that you regain access to these sites? Is it worth £50?

Client62
Legend

We have had the same Public IP from 2017, changes of VM Hub have not changed our Public IP.

The issue may be affecting more that just your connection, do share a list of the problem websites.

Virgin can change the IP, but the reason they generally won't is because of the number of people who would/do contact them asking for a change every time they got banned from somewhere. What's happened here is little different to getting a driving licence and then being banned from driving because the person who lived in the house before you had a driving ban.
Of course contacting site owner could potentially lead to some satisfaction, but it's impossible to contact them so it's not feasible. Even if I could, the number of people I'd have to contact could be insanely high, take me all day, and then still end up being told no.

Honestly I fail to see how it isn't Virgin's problem. I pay for a service that I'm essentially not getting. From what you've explained I see only two possible solutions (not taking buying a router into account); Virgin change the IP for me or they send me a new hub. Both of which they're capable of doing.

It's somewhat important enough to pay the £50, but as a matter of sheer principal I won't do it. Especially not on top of having to pay £35 for the hub to be delivered, an amount that still baffles me. Taking all the issues I've had recently into account, I'd rather sack Virgin off and go elsewhere if they refuse to help me with this.

Thanks for you help though.

It's certainly changed mine. Virgin use dynamic IPs and a change of hub usually results in a change of IP.

Client62
Legend

Try via a VPN or even a try using the Opera browser it has a free VPN built in.

One of the sites specifically bans VPNs so that isn't any good neither. However I've just tried something and it seems I may have been shouting before I was hurt. It turns out that the bans only apply on certain browsers while on other browsers the bans don't exist.

I'll have to look further into this and see if I can find a solution.

Thanks for your suggestion regardless.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

I don't see how a change in browser would work...😶

---------------------------------------------------------------

Seems like it isn't a change in browser per se, it's whether or not it's a private window or just a normal one. Apparently it's a bug, but I'm not sure what causes it. It's the first I've heard of it.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Your IP address is assigned by your ISP based on the MAC address of your router's Internet interface, so a hub swap will result in a different IP address.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection