cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad wifi coverage and red bar on router

Arbaz
Tuning in

Hello, I’ve had a red light bar on my router for many months. The router is well ventilated and not overheated whatsoever and has been reset multiple times. Haven’t had any help for this issue even though I brought this to the attention of virgin media a while back. Have had wifi coverage issue and multiple areas across my house have internet speed as low as 10mbps and one bedroom with 2mbps. Have documented this on the virgin media app but unfortunately unable to get through to the chat team. Was wondering what steps I should take as most family members using mobile data in there allocated rooms. 

10 REPLIES 10

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Do you have a Hub3 and mean the base light is red?

Post up a photo for the team on here to see.

Though it is an issue its more likely that your connection issues are related to some other issue - such as poor Hub wifi - or a bad connection

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Yes I have a hub 3 I believe. I think the house is a little to big for the standard range. Unable to add photo for some reason but yes the standard bar is red .

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
A VM person will comment here soon

Meanwhile see this for info...

If it is a wifi only issue (is it?), then on a Hub3/4/5, you should first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. Its now called… Wifi Max see…….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You can call  0800 064 3850 to order the first one - or follow instructions on that website - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you . If you call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Yeah the separation method just doesn’t seem viable for us as my parents aren’t adequate in the use of their mobile phones and they are most affected by the issue. I’ll try and hopefully get a pod for free as the issue is ridiculous and hopefully hear from a vm employee but thanks for the help.

Hi @Arbaz

Welcome to the community. Sorry to hear you've a red light warning on your router. I can see that you are already in communication on another thread you have opened regarding your WiFi and red light concerns. 

You can reply to me colleague on their and keep all your communications on this issue together so we can support you more quickly and clearly. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

I haven’t received any replies on the other thread. I’m not sure the best way to keep in touch with you guys. Do you do direct messages? 

Our apologies for that Arbaz. I have taken a look on our side and I am unable to see anything that could be affecting this. 

Have you been able to try the suggestion from jbrennand?

^Martin

Yes I’ve tried a bunch of stuff, changed the router location; reset the whole system; removed unnecessary devices; moved the router away from any obstruction or anything to hinder the range. Nothing seems to work and the router is  still showing a red bar which it has for months and the speed in various rooms and garden is too low to use. Desperately need resolving or will be looking elsewhere for internet services. Did ask for a new router and a pod months ago but got neither and since have been busy with other stuff till now.

Hi @Arbaz,

If your router is still displaying a red light at the moment then please follow each of these steps.

• Turn the power switch off on the back of the Hub.
• Ensure the Hub is upright, in a well-ventilated location, and, if at all possible, out of direct sunlight.
• Then use the power switch to turn the unit back on. The Hub should now operate normally.

If after carrying out the above the issue remains, please respond to the private message that I'll be sending to you shortly and we can proceed from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!