cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad ping spikes

dazzamatazz53
Tuning in

Hi there, 

I receive random ping spikes throughout the day and I am unaware of what is causing it?
Sometimes I even time out and skyrocket to 4000ms.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/b825b753d5ee42adf6a81b85e5188e0cb9...
Here is the think broadband link monitoring my ping.

10 REPLIES 10

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Could be VM and their auto test dong DoS speed test or something good or bad doing a upload or download because maxing out your upto limits does not QoS/BWM or people in your area punch a download/upload causing the upstream to buffer.

If you can do a test in modem mode with just a PC allow ICMP inbound and make another BQM to see what happens.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I've had these spikes for well over a month now I'd say.

Can try to do the tests, how do I go about doing them?

Put hub in modem mode with just a PC
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/reboot-or-reset-hub
Firewall in a rule for windows ICMP inbound make new BQM

Hi there,

Put the router into modem mode and it completely broke the net, couldn't access anything. Just had to do a fresh reset on the router to get it working again.

Any ideas of what else we can do?

How is it every time I don't type about how to use modem mode with a PC due the MS stupid Automatic Private Internet Protocol Addressing that this happens...good that you did a reset to get back in line.

Now change back to modem mode with just a PC connected windows does its thing and get stuck in APIPA so all you have to do unplug and plug the Ethernet to do DHCP should this not work power off hub for 2mins and try again.

Hi there, unsure what you mean by "just a PC connected"

You mean just a laptop or computer?

Regards

Wondering if theres anything else I can do to fix this...

Very irritating when I lag out during gaming!

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey dazzmatazz53, thanks for your posts and replies on our help forum.
Sorry to see you've had spikes and issues with your hub performance recently, please give us an update and let us know how things look after you last posted here.

Also, how did the BQM graph on modem mode go and did the pin hole reset help with this problem?
Let us know, we're happy to help.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi there,
Cannot seem to put the hub in modem mode as it completely turns off the internet and I have to do a restart on the hub to get it going again.

Is there any other way I can get this sorted out?