cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad WiFi even after putting into modem mode with router

KevyL
Tuning in

Hi everyone,

I have constant WiFi dropouts ever since I joined virgin almost 2 years ago. When it came round to contract renewal last year I had actually almost changed only they came back and promised to double my speed to 200mb and sent an engineer out.

The engineer tweaked settings and put a WiFi booster upstairs but it didn't help.

I have tried putting superhub 3 into modem mode and used a tp link archer c60 v2 but the WiFi is exactly the same as if I was still using the superhub 3. The coverage stops as soon as I go into the kitchen. With my previous provider (BT) I had coverage almost at the end of my street.

I have also tried using the tp link archer router as a wireless access point but still it has not improved my WiFi signal or drop outs at all..

Thankfully my contract is due to end in October so I finally have the option to switch. The only problem is I do like the TV package virgin media have with bt sport and would have kept it if I could get acceptable WiFi.

Has anyone any idea what I could do to try and fix my WiFi one more time before I go back to bt? Everything works perfectly when wired. 

56 REPLIES 56

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
That router is a fairly basic and cheap model (will never deliver above 100mbps) - have you had it for a while? Or if you just bought it can you return it for a better model?

Also did you connect it in the correct sequence - try again this way.
_______________________-

Set up your own router/Mesh unit (in its settings) with the WAN port set to be in DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Then, disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh first unit) and switch it off and unplug it. Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode
( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode )
and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!).

Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off. Switch your router on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John, I'll have another go at setting it up that way. It's not a router I can return as I've had it about a year now. 

I followed a guide to setting it up that I'd found online that others had successfully used, but it just seems to be as bad as the original virgin superhub with the same drop outs in connection.

I wouldn't mind slower speeds if it was stable, but as is, I could be waiting as much as 10 seconds to scroll from Web page to web page on my phones chrome browser. Happens on both mine and my partners phones. 

Is there any routers or mesh setups you could recommend that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg? I think I'd be more swaying towards just running the contract down and going with BT in October, but I also don't really want the hassle of changing again.

Thanks for your suggestions 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
A decent starter Mesh system would be ~£100. Good quality routers about the same.

The one below gets good reviews and is at a bargain price at the moment - but I have no experience of it - it is from TP-Link - one of the best companies in this marketplace.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-C6-Wireless-Supports-Parental/dp/B07L5YRYF4/

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John,

I bought a new router, a tplink a7 ac1750, the speed at the top of the stairs drops to 20 mb. It gets 200 in living room. My house isn't big and doesn't have thick walls.

I have followed your settings step by step but still it is no better than the other tp link router I bought. I can't comment on drop outs as I havent ran it enough yet but I really don't know why it should drop to a tenth of what I'm paying for over the distance of about ten metres.

Really frustrating. Looking like I've wasted more money on virgin. Thanks for trying to help. Cannot wait til this crappy contract is up in October 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Something is not right then.

Perhaps the router hasn't set up properly (I would repeat the procedure again) as it should be much better. Did you use a new Cat5e/6 ethernet cable for it?

There could be a connection issue - we can look at the Hub stats if you can post them up.

Have you tried a wifi scanning App to see what your wifi environment is like at the various locations in the house and that you are using the optimal channels?

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hi,

Would be willing to try anything at this point.

Could you tell me how to post up my hub stats? I've tried that WiFi analyser and it never says less than fair for the connection. I've tried a lot of different wireless channels too.

Still a case of when I flick between Web pages or try and load a video, itll take about ten seconds to start and if I flick it forward it takes maybe twenty or thirty seconds to catch up, even tho the WiFi speed test shows about 20mb.feels like the connection is below half a mb. It happens on both mine and my wife's phone, and my nvidia shield upstairs constantly disconnects when streaming. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Follow this procedure

In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before unless you have the New Hub4 when you do] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle of first page up and then copy/paste as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again.

Also, in the meantime... If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

Could I do this using a mobile phone? I don't have access to a laptop at home.

Thanks 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I can on my iPhone7.

--------------------
John
--------------------