cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad WiFi even after putting into modem mode with router

KevyL
Tuning in

Hi everyone,

I have constant WiFi dropouts ever since I joined virgin almost 2 years ago. When it came round to contract renewal last year I had actually almost changed only they came back and promised to double my speed to 200mb and sent an engineer out.

The engineer tweaked settings and put a WiFi booster upstairs but it didn't help.

I have tried putting superhub 3 into modem mode and used a tp link archer c60 v2 but the WiFi is exactly the same as if I was still using the superhub 3. The coverage stops as soon as I go into the kitchen. With my previous provider (BT) I had coverage almost at the end of my street.

I have also tried using the tp link archer router as a wireless access point but still it has not improved my WiFi signal or drop outs at all..

Thankfully my contract is due to end in October so I finally have the option to switch. The only problem is I do like the TV package virgin media have with bt sport and would have kept it if I could get acceptable WiFi.

Has anyone any idea what I could do to try and fix my WiFi one more time before I go back to bt? Everything works perfectly when wired. 

56 REPLIES 56

Thanks for coming back to us KevyL, and I'm sorry to hear of the issue with the Wi-Fi services.

We can seek to replace the boosters for some of our new Wi-Fi pods to see if this can help improve the Wi-Fi range in your property.

You seem to be somewhat resigned to leaving Virgin Media for BT but we would be happy to try this for you, if you wanted to persist with having the service issue resolved with Virgin Media

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hi,

I would like to keep virgin media as I'm happy with the TV package and don't want the hassle of switching over, but I also don't want to take the risk of being tied in for another year of this frustration with WiFi.

I'd try the WiFi pods if they were of no extra cost but I wouldn't be willing to spend anymore money on getting it working.

Do they just plug in like powerline adaptors? Could they extend the 5ghz range wherever they are plugged in? 

Yes, it's a simple case of plugging them into areas of the property where you struggle to obtain a Wi-Fi connection and would place the devices close to it on the 5GHz band

I'll seek to drop you a private message via the purple envelope in the top right hand corner to pass data protection and discuss the prospect of replacing the boosters for pods further with you

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
They are usually only free to those on 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages - others are charged £5/month. They may make an exception and waive the cost for you though.

Be aware they only work on a Hub in normal router mode so your Archer cannot be used in router mode. You may still be able to use it in "Access" mode though to boost wifi as well as the Pod.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Would be willing to ditch the new router if these worked. Anything to get functioning WiFi throughout the house.

Thanks for all your help, dedication and quick responses I do appreciate it. 

Hi. 

I've tried the pods and they work great. I work from home, and for a long while there was no interruption to my WiFi in the house. 

I'm not a tech Wiz so the way they needed to be installed was great. Plug them in and they work (well, after a day or two). 

I've read through most of the posts, but I'm confused why you wouldn't use one of them routers provided by the ISP. I believe you said something about them being cheap... also why would an engineer just leave after a visit withouht fixing it? That sucks. 

Anyway. Just dropping a line to say pods work fine. Speed wise they increase overall speed with about an average of 40% even places where WiFi showed good signal. 

Thanks and regards,
Alexander

It maybe would take five or ten minutes for its first disconnection and I didn't want to make the engineer sit around to wait on it as it was late in the evening.

Ive tried all the routers and the superhub 3 on its own and none of them stop it randomly disconnecting. They all do the same thing and give the same speeds.

Glad to hear them pods will work. It's so annoying not having a reliable connection 

Just an update on this....

Shocking customer service from Virgin media.

Told me they would send out WiFi pods to try and fix their woeful service, I wait a week and receive the exact same **bleep**ty boosters their engineer fitted for me 8 months ago, which I had previously stated don't work!

Absolutely the worst provider I've ever had dealings with.

Their final solution? Hopefully the pods become available before you leave us.

Talk about wind up merchants!

Phoned their customer service last night to cancel and theyve since informed me that my contract is actually in place tol April so what's even worse is I'm stuck with this non functioning Internet until then or else pay 200 odd quid to get out of it. 

Ill be all over their socials shaming them until them on every advert they put up to try and stop some other poor unfortunate person taking a contract out with them. 

Absolute cowboys! 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Well if BT wifi is bad you can look at running Ethernet to a wireless AP.

I think your house is the problem to be fair.

---------------------------------------------------------------

That would require running an ethernet cable and trying to hide it, or running the second access point through home plugs, all extra expense that I shouldn't have to do just to have working WiFi. 

I did have bt previously, and had no problems with their WiFi, and could connect up the street to it. With virgin I can just about connect upstairs. My parents around the corner also have bt with no problems.

I'm not even saying just BT are better, couple of my mates in the street beside me have have sky Internet and have no such problems.

In my constant reading through online forums there's a hell of a lot of people with similar complaints to mine. The WiFi is not fit for purpose.