cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Wi-Fi connection

andydragon
Joining in

I have just got 500Mb connection yesterday and the WiFi is awful. It seems to work only in the one room where the hub is, move a few feet further and it drops to sub 20 speeds and the connection won’t stick. I have tried different locations in the room but pretty much the hub seems to be unsuitable for Wi-Fi 

my brother recommended virgin and said his speeds are fine, only difference seems to be he has the Superhub 5 and I have the Superhub 3

I need a good connection for work. I left Plusnet, which was fine, strong stable and full speed throughout the house. Swayed my the higher speeds, but pointless as they don’t exist

Having major 2nd thoughts on this. I thought it would be ideal for gaming and work as it’s advertised but no stable Wi-Fi is a deal breaker now

12 REPLIES 12

g0akc
Problem sorter

Do some WiFi troubleshooting 

• using a WiFi analyser app, see if you’re clashing with your neighbours - same or adjacent channels 
  • try changing channels 
  • try ‘splitting the bands’ - different SSID for 2.4 and 5GHz - use 5GHz if in same room and 2.4 further away 
  • make sure all devices have up to date WiFi drivers - check manufacturer and chipset provider website 
  • look at using your old Plusnet hub as an additional wireless access point 
  • get your own router/mesh or WiFi kit and use the VM hub in modem mode 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Thanks for the reply

Not happy about paying for another router when what is supplied to other customers works. So whilst an option not one I’m super happy with

Cant use the Plusnet stuff. Will need to return it

as I said, Wi-Fi is fine in the one room where the hub is, purely seems to be distance from hub which is not great

@andydragon wrote:

Thanks for the reply

Not happy about paying for another router when what is supplied to other customers works. So whilst an option not one I’m super happy with

What happens at other customers, including your brother’s, is largely irrelevant - their environment is different;

• different house
  • different neighbours
  • different devices 
  • Incompatibility with your devices but ok with theirs
  • other signals or noise in the vicinity and so on

Need to tackle what’s at your place.

What are you expecting to be done?  VM to replace the hub, which could be faulty?  Likely it will be the same.  Try contacting VM by all means.  Cancel if unhappy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

I’ll contact virgin, 

Id expected they’d monitor these forums and therefore be able to support but I guess not 

@andydragon wrote:

Thanks for the reply

My ‘hardly used’ D Link router cost me 40 quid off eBay.  Hub in modem mode.  Job done.

VM hubs fair badly in comparisons for WiFi - but are fine for many customers in their location.

@andydragon wrote:

I’ll contact virgin, 

Id expected they’d monitor these forums and therefore be able to support but I guess not 

They do have reps on here.  One may come along soon.

@g0akc wrote:

@andydragon wrote:

I’ll contact virgin, 

They do have reps on here.  One may come along soon.

Wasn’t sure how to use these forums

okay thanks again. Appreciate there are differences in locations and such. Just seems from a net search that the suberhub3 is a known Wi-Fi problem and as you said a router is a solution but as a new customer paying for a fast connection it feels somewhat unfortunate.

For most people I guess it does work but to have an expectation of a huge speed boost hampered by equipment is a shame but these things happen

Shall see if a rep comes and hopefully get a solution. I prefer we chat but seems that’s not working at the moment apart from an AI that’s not very helpful

I do appreciate the help

That’s web chat, not we chat…

guess no edit?

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@andydragon Having major 2nd thoughts on this. I thought it would be ideal for gaming and work as it’s advertised but no stable Wi-Fi is a deal breaker now

What most people need for both gaming and most work uses is stability and consistent low latency, rather than bandwidth ("speed").  If you're a video editor, Linux developer or other similar content-heavy worker then the speed might be relevant, for most people it isn't unless Openreach are unfeasibly slow.

VM's forte is broadband speed; it's weakness is rubbish customer service, and for some customers iffy wifi, poor reliability or erratic latency.  In an easy wifi environment a VM hub will cope well - anything remotely challenging and its poundshop specifications show up very clearly.  If you'll persist, then with some effort the wifi can be fixed, but this may involve you buying your own wifi gear for £70-£130.