cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Routing Concern

lawlesscs
Tuning in

Hello all, I've spoken to support over the phone about bad traffic routing when playing Valorant, causing rapid ping fluctuations.

Before speaking to Virgin Media, I contacted to Riot Games' support over the past week, as this is the only game that has these issues. I sent them lots of logs, videos, and screenshots of pings and tracerts which led them to narrowing down the cause of the problem to my ISP's routing to their servers.

I spoke to VM over the phone, but unfortunately they were not too helpful. The support agent kept talking about needing WiFi boosters, which will not solve my problem because the issues occur when I'm playing wired as well as wireless. The support agent did give me an email that I can send my questions to (webteam@virginmedia.co.uk), but this email is a dud, as they don't pick emails up from that mailbox!?

I'll paste a copy of the email that I tried to send to VM, in case any lovely people here have either experienced similar, know what I can do, or who I can speak to in order to sort this out.

-- Many thanks, Charlie B

Hi there,
I have quite a nuanced problem that I was wondering if I could get some help with please.

I play a lot of games in my spare time, and I am having consistent problems when I play Riot Games'  "Valorant" with my friends. Often during the game, my ping will fluctuate rapidly and this makes it really hard to focus and play a good game. I've spoken to Riot Games' support, and sent them half a dozen log folders, as well as screenshots of pings and tracerts, and they have concluded that the issue "looks related to some issues that your Internet Provider is currently facing in regards to their routing to our servers". They have said that it is not something that they can sort from their end, and so I need to contact my ISP regarding this.

They suggested that I ask for a re-route, and potentially a static IP if this is possible. I would also like to verify that I am getting a consistent public IP with all your traffic bound to the Internet, regardless of any protocols. Their support has provided me with links to their peering partners and exchange points, as well as their PeeringDB page in case you need all of the details regarding the route they are using. The necessary links are provided below my email signature.

I would greatly appreciate a response, and if there is any more information that you need, I am more than happy to provide it.

15 REPLIES 15

My traceroute. There is no further information after the hop to Chello Broadband.

C:\>tracert 162.249.72.1

Tracing route to 162.249.72.1 over a maximum of 30 hops

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3    11 ms    17 ms    18 ms  haye-core-2a-xe-231-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.8.117]
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5    10 ms    15 ms     9 ms  m686-mp2.cvx1-b.lis.dial.ntli.net [62.254.42.174]
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7    13 ms    12 ms    10 ms  uk-lon01c-ri2-ae-6-0.aorta.net [84.116.136.98]
  8    10 ms    10 ms    21 ms  uk-lon01a-rd3-s-4-1.aorta.net [213.46.174.161]
  9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\>

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

And here's what I get on Talktalk business.

Tracing route to 162.249.72.1 over a maximum of 30 hops

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  OpenWrt.lan [192.168.1.1]
  2    10 ms    10 ms    11 ms  host-62-24-254-203.as13285.net [62.24.254.203]
  3    10 ms    10 ms    11 ms  host-78-144-1-61.as13285.net [78.144.1.61]
  4    12 ms    19 ms    12 ms  host-78-144-1-60.as13285.net [78.144.1.60]
  5    13 ms    13 ms    12 ms  linx-j.riotdirect.net [195.66.226.186]
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

TV, Phone and Broadband using the Hub 3.0 in modem mode, with a Newifi D2 running Openwrt (FTTP/RFoG).

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @lawlesscs

Welcome to the community and thanks for your first post, we're happy to have you with us. 

I'm so sorry to hear you're having some ping issues when playing Valorant, I appreciate this must be very frustrating and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

To confirm, do you experience the ping fluctuations with any other games, or do you find it's just this one in particular? 

Are you able to set up a Broadband Quality Monitor here? This will create a visual record of your connection which will help us see the ping fluctuations while you're playing the game. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi there Sofia,

Yes, the ping issues do only occur when playing Valorant.

I set up a BQM the other day - you should be able to see a snapshot of that here:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/35ce9a0388ddd20f86546b9ae6554b6c2a...

Many thanks,

Charlie B

Hi Charlie B, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this gaming issue looked into, I am sorry if it's been causing some frustration whilst playing Valorant. 

I understand you've done a lot of leg work before posting on here, which we always appreciate.

I want to be as transparent as possible for you, what I'm about to say may not be the answer you wanted, but I would rather be honest than build your hopes up!

In this instance I am afraid there may not be anything we can do to resolve your particular issue, as we cannot change routing here on the forums, nor would we be able to change the routing for just one specific customer. 

I would recommend going on 3rd party forums for this specific game to see if there is any other way you can resolve this issue. 

I am sorry that we couldn't resolve this issue for you, but I wish you the best of luck in finding an alternative resolution. 

Thanks,

Megan_L

Okie dokie,

Thanks Megan, appreciate the response!

--

Many thanks,

Charlie B