cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Routing Concern

lawlesscs
Tuning in

Hello all, I've spoken to support over the phone about bad traffic routing when playing Valorant, causing rapid ping fluctuations.

Before speaking to Virgin Media, I contacted to Riot Games' support over the past week, as this is the only game that has these issues. I sent them lots of logs, videos, and screenshots of pings and tracerts which led them to narrowing down the cause of the problem to my ISP's routing to their servers.

I spoke to VM over the phone, but unfortunately they were not too helpful. The support agent kept talking about needing WiFi boosters, which will not solve my problem because the issues occur when I'm playing wired as well as wireless. The support agent did give me an email that I can send my questions to (webteam@virginmedia.co.uk), but this email is a dud, as they don't pick emails up from that mailbox!?

I'll paste a copy of the email that I tried to send to VM, in case any lovely people here have either experienced similar, know what I can do, or who I can speak to in order to sort this out.

-- Many thanks, Charlie B

Hi there,
I have quite a nuanced problem that I was wondering if I could get some help with please.

I play a lot of games in my spare time, and I am having consistent problems when I play Riot Games'  "Valorant" with my friends. Often during the game, my ping will fluctuate rapidly and this makes it really hard to focus and play a good game. I've spoken to Riot Games' support, and sent them half a dozen log folders, as well as screenshots of pings and tracerts, and they have concluded that the issue "looks related to some issues that your Internet Provider is currently facing in regards to their routing to our servers". They have said that it is not something that they can sort from their end, and so I need to contact my ISP regarding this.

They suggested that I ask for a re-route, and potentially a static IP if this is possible. I would also like to verify that I am getting a consistent public IP with all your traffic bound to the Internet, regardless of any protocols. Their support has provided me with links to their peering partners and exchange points, as well as their PeeringDB page in case you need all of the details regarding the route they are using. The necessary links are provided below my email signature.

I would greatly appreciate a response, and if there is any more information that you need, I am more than happy to provide it.

15 REPLIES 15

sophist
Trouble shooter

If you search "Valorant" at the forums you'll find quite a few similar stories.

Not sure where (or even if) VM/Liberty Global peer with Valorant / their network provider..

as for options.. have you tried using a vpn to play? might add some latency, but might also provide you with a bit more consistency..

Virgin won't change routing for a single customer, they may look into it if we can prove there's an issue with one of their routers along the way.

Do you have an IP / host we can traceroute to, to test if the rest of us see the same thing?

Another test, change your DNS on your PC to use Google's (8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4) and see if that makes a difference

Hi there sophist!
I've tried 3 free vpns as of now, and all of them seem to either dramatically increase my ping, or reduce my connection speed so drastically that the game becomes unplayable either way. Are there any that you would suggest?

Hi Synthetic,
The advice I was given by Riot was to try this address 162.249.72.1 in a software like pingplotter that generates ping logs. If you could let me know how you get on with this address, that would be great 🙂

Hi again,
I've tried the default, google's and cloudflare's dns servers and none of them make any difference.

Hi there sophist!
I've tried 3 free vpns as of now, and all of them seem to either dramatically increase my ping, or reduce my connection speed so drastically that the game becomes unplayable either way. Are there any that you would suggest?

@lawlesscs wrote:
Hi Synthetic,
The advice I was given by Riot was to try this address 162.249.72.1 in a software like pingplotter that generates ping logs. If you could let me know how you get on with this address, that would be great 🙂

run cmd then 

tracert 162.249.72.1

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi legacy1,

I have already run a tracert for this address .Synthetic asked for the address to see if they could connect properly.