cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Whole Home discs randomly restarting or dropping internet connection

FluffyMatt
Just joined

I'm hoping some here might be able to help with the following, this all comes about as I live in a solid brick house and the Hub 3 has such terrible coverage.

I had a 2 pack set of Discs from 2017 and 1 of them gave up the ghost this year. 

I tried Tenda and TP-Link devices as replacements but these really did suck.

I decided to go back to BT Whole Home and bought a 3 pack. Installed them and even managed to get my last remaining old disc working with them but not too long and I started getting issues. 

Random Internet drops, random discs going offline and not reconnecting to the network. 

I turned off the old disc to see if this was causing issues. It seemed to stabilise but then the issues returned. I tweaked some settings like turning on compatibility but again the issues continued. 

In the end I reset the whole network and reinstalled it minus the 4th random disc which I threw out. 

This was stable for around 10 days then 1 disc went out which was fine it came back without a hitch but now all the problems are back again. All discs show blue but devices aren't connected and anything that is connected days there is no Internet. 

When I looked at the logs the master disc hasn't logged for hours but then all of a sudden it's restarted itself which is weird. Other times I have to restart it to get the connection back. 

The weird thing us it's random. I'll have been using the internet all day for work and them at around 7pm boom no internet and manual restart or it's restarted itself. 

Does anyone have ideas? I'm totally lost as to what could be causing the issues. 

The master disc is connected to a Virgin Hub 3 with the WiFi disabled. Incase that helps. 

All discs are running firmware v1.02.13 build07

2 REPLIES 2

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi FluffyMatt,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to hear your connection is dropping randomly even with your WIFI plated you received over 5 years ago.

Any older WIFI extenders are no longer supported however we now have our WIFI Max which comes with up to 3 Pods, I was able to locate you on our system with the details we have for you and it does look like you are eligible.

You can use our Connect App to run Black Spot checks, if found the App will guide you through ordering the pods.

Regards

Paul.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are your BT discs the type that has a router function? If so it’s far better to run the VM hub in modem mode.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2