Menu
aman969
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

BT Flex 600 powerline adaptors have a very slow speed

Yesterday I bought some BT Flex 600 powerline adaptors. Since i plugged them in to the main sockets, I found that the speeds they were giving me via Ethernet from the was only 10mbps when it should be reaching a speed of 200mbps. I have a virgin superhub 3 which seems to be working fine although the 2g signal channel it emits is very intermittent turning off at night sometimes for no reason. I have checked both cables that came with the power liners and it all seems to be fine, but when i use the powerliners the speeds are terrible. Is anyone else having or had these problem and does anyone know how to fix it?

Much Thanks

aman969

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: BT Flex 600 powerline adaptors have a very slow speed

Powerlines need to be plugged directly into the socket and not into extension leads. They also dont perform well in on an RCD protected external circuit. Also they must also be on the same ring circuit or at least on ones going through the same consumer unit (fuse box). They are also affected if you have a "noisy" electrical circuit - probably need an electrician to test that if you think you have. Are your all okay in these regards?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

First of all you will never get 200Mbps from the BT Flex 600 powerline adapters as they only have 100Mbps ethernet ports.

Powerlines are rated on theoretical transfer speed in one direction, as they are half duplex and affected by noise on your electrical mains actual speeds will be around 15 - 25% of advertised.

How are you testing the speed?
Are you sure you are testing in Mbps or MBps? If MBps the speed would be about right.

I would test the adapters in adjacent sockets to minimise any noise on your electrical mains.
If the speed is still very poor, then the powerline adapters could be faulty, but well worth doing a Factorty Rest of the Adapters before returning.

The adapters have passthrough capability so no need to plug them into a extension strip.

0 Kudos
aman969
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

thanks for the quick reply,
I have already factory reset them and both adaptors have been plugged in the wall sockets. Currently the speeds i am receiving are 10Mbps (megabits) but even whilst playing games, heavily lag can still be present. I was under the impression that it would give ethernet port speeds thanks for making me aware. Is there no other way i can fix it or could it just be faulty?
0 Kudos
aman969
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

thank for the reply,
In regards to the electricals, Im pretty sure we are good for all of that and the circuit isn't that big at all, but ill have to have a look to see but i dont think the circuit is noisy
0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Testing with the adapters in adjacent sockets as I mentioned earlier should give a rough indication if noise is a factor.

0 Kudos