Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

BQM

I have set up a monitoring graph on think broadband but I have no idea what it means! Can anyone explain please (in very simple language :))

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/145fbe271a8f2a059083ac73737e1da83c... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: BQM

The Latency (green, blue and yellow) on the graph is the slowness of the signals to and from the Hub.

The packet loss is when packets of information don't get to the addressee and have to be resent.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike

So can you see is mine good/bad/average? I don't know what a good graph should look like.

K

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

the packet loss (the red parts at the top) are bad.
the yellow latency spikes are not the best, but if you are getting the speeds you should be getting then they might not be causing any problems.

Mikes is a very good BQM, mines has latency issues (but no speed issues)

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

OK thanks. Would the packet loss make the internet drop out, for a very small time? 

Also could you explain what I should put in the target box here where it says IP address? 

Ping

This page provides ping diagnostics to help troubleshoot IP connectivity problems.

Target

(IP address or name)
Ping size

bytes
No. of pings

Is it the same number that is on my graph? 

Thanks

Kaz

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

i wouldn't bother activating a ping test, it offers no extra info that can't be gathered from the BQM.
the packet loss stopped at around 6am, so unless it happens again we can ignore it for now (there might have been some line issues which have since been resolved).

was there a paricular reason why you set up a BQM?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I tried a ping test with the number starting 82.18.xxx it says 100% packet loss. I also tried with 192.xxx number that I have - that says 66% packet loss, so I am very confused.

Have 2 x virgin mobiles that both keep connecting to mobile data even when I am at home and should be on wifi. My mobile data now off and phone OK but slower than usual. Also son has PlayStation and keeps lagging on there, Have done some tests with the VM network diagnostic tool.

Getting results like thisBD34B31F-EB35-4F39-ACC2-637DD2C6A95B.jpg2DC7F978-A264-4540-B9EE-F7E893ED36F3.jpg

OK that other picture doesn't want to be seen but says Checking broadband service and checking wifi connections - both with red exclamation marks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

ok, a BQM wouldn't help you in terms of why your mobiles keep dropping to mobile data - that sounds like you have a local WIFI issue - a BQM won't help with that.

and 192.x IP address is almost certain a local device on your network - so again a BQM won't help with that.

this sounds like you have a WIFI issue, which a BQM won't help with (you may have other issues too, but certainly the mobile phone issues sound like WIFI rather than line issues).
is the Playstation connected via WIFI or ethernet?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Have tried wireless and ethernet - ethernet is worse even though connected to wifi extender in the same room. 

According to virgin I don't have a problem though. 

Sorry don't really understand all this techy stuff. Is broadband what comes to the hub and then wifi comes from the hub to the devices? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

connect direct to the hub not the extender 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos