cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BQM: Is this a typical utilisation issue?

ScottsterUK
On our wavelength

So, all of a sudden, after years of uninterrupted service, we're experiencing regular latency spikes... a rubber-banding effect that sees ping/return times climb into the hundreds of milliseconds. This happens perhaps every now and then, a couple of times an hour, for about a minute at a time -- then everything is just fine again. I usually know it's about to happen because my Amazon Echo devices stop playing the radio (only to continue a few seconds later).

I set up a ThinkBroadband BQM in a hope to chart what's going on. This is a pretty typical day for us now... the top-to-bottom lines indicate all those times where latency grows to hair-tearing times. Is this normal? Having read plenty on this forum, I sense it's a local utilisation issue. Any Virgin employees care to comment/help?

18 REPLIES 18

GiBB_l
Dialled in

GiBB_l
Dialled in

double post apologies

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Do you know if you was uploading or downloading at the time? hub in router mode?

post the live BQM

---------------------------------------------------------------

Our Hub 3.0 is in modem mode, connected to a high-end 802.11ax/Wi-Fi 6 router. The setup has worked well for many years. We are not routinely uploading -- pretty typical family usage.

So on your router can you enable QoS/BWM set limits to -10Mb of your download and -1Mb of your upload.

If you log in to the hub and find the T# timeouts on the upstream are they showing 0?

@ScottsterUK wrote:

Our Hub 3.0 is in modem mode, connected to a high-end 802.11ax/Wi-Fi 6 router. 

Never heard of this make high-end😋

@legacy1 wrote:

So on your router can you enable QoS/BWM set limits to -10Mb of your download and -1Mb of your upload.

If you log in to the hub and find the T# timeouts on the upstream are they showing 0?

@ScottsterUK wrote:

Our Hub 3.0 is in modem mode, connected to a high-end 802.11ax/Wi-Fi 6 router. 

Never heard of this make high-end😋

Thanks. I have numerous QoS and bandwidth-limiting options configured. And okay, the router isn't that high end... but it's pretty good -- an Asus RT-AX86U. I guess I meant 'high end' as compared to the default Hub 3.0.

That aside, and as an aside, I find tonight that I can't now log into the Hub 3.0 (on 192.168.100.1). Used to be fine, not that I've needed to in months... seems that's a whole other Pandora's Box!

You want to use Traditional QoS

I know that with QoS with high priority rules it can cause a simple ping to spike

@legacy1 wrote:

You want to use Traditional QoS

I know that with QoS with high priority rules it can cause a simple ping to spike

In fact, until recently I had no QoS configured and all was well. It was the recent latency spikes that prompted me to attempt QoS. It's set for Bandwidth Limiter to control the two most intensive devices. But the more I look into this, the more I believe it to be a provider problem rather than a local one.

@GiBB_l wrote:

might be worth checking this out https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/VM-CORE-NETWORK-FAILURE-URGANT/td-p/4986440

Yes, I suppose this could be related.