cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOOSTER

BROWNERS
Tuning in

Hi

I've been a customer for 10 years. I live in a small bungalow and the connection drops in the bedroom and no signal reaches the security camera outside. I borrowed a plug in booster and the problem was solved. 

I rang Virgin to get my own booster (I was offered a free one approx 3 years ago) but they will charge £5 a month. My contract is expiring next week and if I don't get the booster for free, I will be cancelling. 

Can anyone help please? 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

g0akc
Problem sorter

As far as I know Virgin Media no longer supply boosters.

They now offer pods.

The pods cost £5 a month to rent unless you are on a premium package which includes them free.

Options include;

• order a pod at £5/month 
  • buy your own WiFi booster (non Virgin)
  • upgrade to 1gig speed or similar so the pod is free
  • Get your own mesh system

I’d do the later if I were you.  And I’d likely put hub in modem mode with a mesh system.

The mesh would also be useful with a different ISP if you choose to go elsewhere - or pay for similar from another provider.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

g0akc
Problem sorter

As far as I know Virgin Media no longer supply boosters.

They now offer pods.

The pods cost £5 a month to rent unless you are on a premium package which includes them free.

Options include;

• order a pod at £5/month 
  • buy your own WiFi booster (non Virgin)
  • upgrade to 1gig speed or similar so the pod is free
  • Get your own mesh system

I’d do the later if I were you.  And I’d likely put hub in modem mode with a mesh system.

The mesh would also be useful with a different ISP if you choose to go elsewhere - or pay for similar from another provider.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Thanks for all this info - really helpful. 

I think I'll move provider and see if that solves the problem before investing in the mesh system. 

Appreciate your time. 

Have a look at the BT offerings - their hubs and disc systems provide generally good range/performance.

EE and Plusnet use some, but not all, the same kit as sister companies.

Will do, and thanks again for great info 

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there BROWNERS.

Thank you for your post and sorry to see you are not in a package that includes our pods as a free service.
We would hate to see you go because of this.

Since you mentioned previously that your contract is coming to an end it would be worth to give us a call at 0345 454 1111 and speak to our Care team.
They will check and let you know what new deals and loyalty discounts are available and you may find a better one where the WiFi intelligent Plus service is included. 

We can then give you up to 3 WiFi pods for free and you get full signal coverage inside the property.

Let us know if this information helps and how you get on with boosting your WiFi signal.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs