cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BB Having to sign out and in on wifi

catteeclan
Tuning in

Hi all. Now coming up to the end of my 18 month contract. I've been talking to virgin via WhatsApp most of the morning after I asked to cancel the contract at the end date. I'm getting plenty of offers, none of which are as good as being a new customer and no help with the Broadband.

We're on the superhub 3 and for whatever reason we get different speeds in all the ethernet ports and the wifi is constantly dropping in speed and connection. Most of this has happened after we renewed our contract 18 months ago and moved up to m200.
Are any of the newer hubs any better? Talk on the web suggests not.

Is the only fix to use modem mode with a second router?

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Newer Hubs are no better for the average user.

Different speeds from the ports is most likely to be a feature of the device and/or ethernet cable causing the issue. Wifi fluctuations are another story .

See this to test the speeds properly
________

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ).

This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets. And See message 9 in this thread and… 3 in the second

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Slow-Ethernet-Speed/m-p/5060946#M484321

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Upgrade-from-M600-to-Gig1-no-speed-change-with-Hub-4/td-p...

If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3/4/5, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂
To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

You do have to call in to order the first one (cant do it online the website is borked) - or try the web-chat function (that has worked for some) - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you .

If not… you will be charged £5/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John. 
Seems buying my own router is indeed the way to go if I stay with Virgin.
Got nowhere with the whatsapp talk and have given the 30 days notice.

Hey there @catteeclan, thanks for reaching out to us.

I'm sorry to hear about the Wi-Fi speeds dropping down, and also with the package price.
I will look in to this for you and see if I can find a cheaper price - although there are no guarantees that it will be near the 'New Customer Offers' that you may have had when joining us.
I will also look in the speed issue that is affecting your hub. I will send you a private message - watch out for the purple envelope.

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I gave a months noticed but borrowed a pair of TPlink decos with the not so superhub3 in modem mode. The difference is very noticeable with a good signal all around my house other than the tele in one bedroom, 3 brick walls to get through. No having to sign out and in again.
I have seen and read lots of this on this forum and other sites but thanks to Johns advise it gave me the push to sort it.
I think this is the norm but acceptable for most households but we have quite a few devices running which I think highlighted the problem with these hubs.

On another note I wouldn't have rejoined virgin if they wouldn't at least match the new customer price and I have now signed up for another 18 months.

Hey there @catteeclan, thanks for reaching out to us.

I'm sorry to hear about the original troubles of the Wi-Fi you had faced, but I am happy to hear you have been able to make amendments to get this sorted 🙂
I am also glad to hear you've found a contract that suits you best.

As always, reach out to us here if you ever need anything.

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs