cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Join not working correctly

mfldavsion
On our wavelength

We are having problems with our iOS devices, iphone and ipads.  The device (iphone or ipad) shows that it has connected to the correct home wifi with a strong signal but there is no internet connectivity, pages fail to load and uploads fail.  This failure is confirmed by doing a speedtest, which fails.  Switching the wifi off and on on the device again clears the problem.  We know the internet is getting to the hub as it is working on another devices at the same time.  We think that the problem is worse when the device has been used on a different wifi, a cafe or another residence.  The auto join works when connecting to other wifi.  So the problem is with our Virgin Media super Hub and the problem only seems to have occurred since this was upgraded to a Hub 3.  I have tried resetting the hub and the devices have been powered down and software is up to date.  I would ask VM for help but I have little or no confidence in their technical support.  Any ideas? 

15 REPLIES 15

Client62
Hero

When using the VM WiFi make quite sure all of Apple's VPN tools are turned off.  These include all Apple Private Browsing and IP hiding tools.

Once connected to VM WiFi the link below should return an IPv4 IP address only (i.e. no IPv6 IP) and the ISP should be Virgin Media.

https://whatismyipaddress.com/

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

@mfldavsion wrote:

We are having problems with our iOS devices, iphone and ipads.  The device (iphone or ipad) shows that it has connected to the correct home wifi with a strong signal but there is no internet connectivity, pages fail to load and uploads fail.  This failure is confirmed by doing a speedtest, which fails.  Switching the wifi off and on on the device again clears the problem.  We know the internet is getting to the hub as it is working on another devices at the same time.  We think that the problem is worse when the device has been used on a different wifi, a cafe or another residence.  The auto join works when connecting to other wifi.  So the problem is with our Virgin Media super Hub and the problem only seems to have occurred since this was upgraded to a Hub 3.  I have tried resetting the hub and the devices have been powered down and software is up to date.  I would ask VM for help but I have little or no confidence in their technical support.  Any ideas? 

As I read your words above, auto-join does seem to work - just that there is no Internet reported by the iOS device.  I’ve never had that at home, but in other locations that I’ve been to before, e.g. M&S, I’ve seen this.  Like you, switching WiFi off and on on the iOS device has resolved the matter.  Once, I had to power off/on my device.  

These issues are real buggers to pinpoint.  When this happens, it would be useful if you could go into the Hub’s GUI and note what the Hub says are connected devices.  That would be a starting point.  Also note what it says when you clear the connection with WiFi off/on.

Btw, one of the reasons that I’m in modem mode with my own router is that I’m guaranteed not to have to worry about the Hub!

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Thanks for this I would have never thought of this, I do use the Apple iCloud Private Relay and using your link it did show a IPv6 address.  I will now switch this off and see if it fixes this problem on one ipad.  It doesn't bother me too much but me wife finds it very annoying and is not really confident in changing anything in settings!  We never had the problem with previous Hubs.  I write again when I know if this fixes the issue, but as it it is an annoying transient problem it will take time to see if this fixes it.

Thanks, after further investigation my wife's iPad doesn't have the Private Relay switched on and it is her iPad that I get the most grief from. We have no other VPNs so this is not the issue!

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try going into the WiFi settings on the iPad and do a ‘forget network settings’ and the rejoin.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

The post mentions "upgraded to a Hub 3", these WiFi issues are more common on a Hub 5 where disabling WPA3 security some times helps.

For a Hub 3 the aspect that iPhones & iPads prefer is

++ the WiFi Security is set to "WPA2-PSK" ( only )

++ it is also worth trying with WiFi "Channel Optimization Disabled"

If you can connect at all after the WiFi on/off trick, then the security setting won't matter as long as WPA2 is included.

Channel Optimization should always be disabled; it's useless and causes unwanted disconnections.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Hi @mfldavsion 

Thanks for posting on our community forum and sorry to hear about your issue

Have you managed to try the tips our community have advised of above? Please do provide us with an update

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Update

thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately non have solved the problem.  Except that now I seem to find the broadband less reliable.  Wifi signal is strong, not internet connection, fails, speeds drop, and disconnects.

somewhat fed up with VM’s reliability and consistency.  

Mark