Menu
Highlighted
PhilHornby
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Authentication error on Virgin Media (Shared) WiFi

A while back, I downloaded the "Virgin Media WiFi" app, on my Android phone and a tablet. I tested it, and it worked ok.

Today I was in the 'student quarter' of Nottingham (aka Lenton!) and tried using the predefined "Virgin Media" Network Connection to access the Hub 3.0 in my daughter's student house. It didn't work - giving 'invalid Username/Password'.  I tried walking around to pick up one of the (many) others, but still got the same error.

When I returned home to Stockport, I tried to connect to one down my street and again got 'invalid Username/Password'. I tried the tablet ... and got the same result.

I then manually deleted the entry from my phone and re-ran the app. to recreate it. It didn't help ... it still gives invalid Username/Password.

Is this something to do with my account settings? ... or Virgin Media's 'Shared WiFi' service?.

(I'm opted in to the service - but my own Hub 3.0 is in modem mode - and ever more will be so!)

0 Kudos
Kevinjones25
Settling in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Authentication error on Virgin Media (Shared) WiFi

I'm having the same problem at Northwick Park. Deleted all settings. Reinstalled virgin app. Still getting authentication error. ???
0 Kudos
PhilHornby
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It turns out that my daughter's iPhone is doing the same thing.

Over to you Virgin Media...

0 Kudos
PhilHornby
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Some user comments from the Android App Store, made in the last few days ...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.virginmedia.simplewifi&hl=en_GB

Used to work, but now it can no longer connect to any Virgin Media networks, instead showing "authentication problem" in my phone's WiFi settings. Reinstalled several times but hasn't helped.
Keeps saying authentication error occurred, app needs fixing Samsung galaxy tab s2, virgin media are rubbish as usual should look at sky apps they work.
Used to work, but now it can no longer connect to any Virgin Media networks, instead showing "authentication problem" in my phone's WiFi settings. Reinstalled several times but hasn't helped.
Absolutely rubbish, waste of time, buggy! Good idea but no execution... Worked for a day, now constantly says can't connect KRUD!
App suddenly not working " Authentication Error" when trying to connect to hotspots Always used to work well, seems latest update broke it

The App seems to install a Certificate and populate a WiFi connection entry to use it; The error could be somewhere within V.M.'s network, or maybe the App has started populating the wrong details (though I think it only does that as one-off action)?

0 Kudos
75oharas
Just joined
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I get the same problem and it seems related to the fact they have recently pushed new certificates out.

previously the profile was called virgin media wifi

now its called virgin media wifi nov17 and no longer works.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello.

Some customers may be unable to connect our Virgin Media WiFi hotspots.
You may see an error with authentication, or ‘unable to join network’. 

We are working hard to fix the issue and will keep you up to date on this thread.

We would like to apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

We've now fixed the problem some customers had connecting to our WiFi hotspots.

You should be asked in app to set up again - if you do this now, it will work fine.

If you don't get a prompt, click on the Virgin Media WiFi app menu---> Settings---> Set up auto-connect and follow the simple steps.

We apologise for the temporary loss of access and any inconvenience this may have caused.

If you are having issues setting up again, please chat to us by clicking 'Contact Us' in the top right of the app screen, or post here on the Community.

0 Kudos