cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio issues on any call

comjl13
Joining in

Hi everyone,

I’m hoping someone can help because unfortunately VM support just “send signals to my router”…

since I’ve got my SH4 I have a weird issue where audio on calls intermittently drops out for a second or so at a time very often.

it happens on multiple devices AND multiple apps. Zoom, Teams, WhatsApp, FaceTime and WiFi Calling on my mobile are all affected.

The video part of the call works fine. It happens with headphones and inbuilt speakers. Streaming services work fine.

it’s completely infuriating and completely bizarre.

any advice or help would be massively appreciated.

cheers!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Choppy audio is usually caused by latency faults.  Sometimes that may be internet routing to the relevant servers, sometimes on VM's local network.  These types of fault do affect video as well, but if the video window is small or low resolution you might not notice. 

Setup a Broadband Quality Monitor and post a LINK to a LIVE, SHARED graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can post the link immediately. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @comjl13,

Welcome to the community page, thanks for posting.

I am sorry to see you are having issues with audio calls.

Can you please tell me what device make and model this is happening on?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Choppy audio is usually caused by latency faults.  Sometimes that may be internet routing to the relevant servers, sometimes on VM's local network.  These types of fault do affect video as well, but if the video window is small or low resolution you might not notice. 

Setup a Broadband Quality Monitor and post a LINK to a LIVE, SHARED graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can post the link immediately. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@comjl13 wrote:

<snip>  any advice or help would be massively appreciated.

cheers!

Setup a BQM to monitor the state of your circuit.  It's most likely latency, but the BQM will show up any problems.

www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks everyone - Thinks are improved today so maybe "signals..." worked?

I've set up the monitor (I think) so here's the link... 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/b879fc4679952a0c9906d0b7127a7ba950... 

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If everything's working OK then that's good. As far as I can tell the "sending a signal to your router" pantomime probably does no more than remotely command a re-registration of the hub, such that it renegotiates all channels, usually picking nice "clean" frequencies.  That can fix a one-off problem, it won't be an enduring fix for any power/noise faults which ultimately need physical intervention.  Fingers crossed the problem doesn't return.

If the problem reappears you'll need to sort out the BQM - from the couple of hours now showing I can tell the BQM you've posted isn't tracking a VM DOCSIS connection.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @comjl13

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

How are you getting on with your connection today?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs