Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

At my wits end with internet dropping

Hey guys, I need help.

I’m at my wits end with trying to keep my sons Xbox One X connected to the internet. Doesn’t matter if it’s a wired connection or WiFi, it drops for a second every 15-20 minutes. This problem started about a week ago.

It only effects this device. My other sons Xbox stays connected perfectly, as does the tv, iPads etc.

To test a fault on the device, I ran the Xbox off a phones connection....not a single drop in a 6hr test. So it’s not the Xbox.

Tried to find logs in settings of router, but can’t. Someone said it could be the IP address changing every 20 mins? I’ve no idea. But I’ve got sons who can’t play together as the split second disconnect always boots them for the game.

I did run the diagnostic tool in the router, and it says ‘some errors’, but I can’t progress from that screen.

any advice? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: At my wits end with internet dropping

@Lavindathar wrote:

Hey guys, I need help.

I’m at my wits end with trying to keep my sons Xbox One X connected to the internet. Doesn’t matter if it’s a wired connection or WiFi, it drops for a second every 15-20 minutes. This problem started about a week ago.

It only effects this device. My other sons Xbox stays connected perfectly, as does the tv, iPads etc.

To test a fault on the device, I ran the Xbox off a phones connection....not a single drop in a 6hr test. So it’s not the Xbox.

Tried to find logs in settings of router, but can’t. Someone said it could be the IP address changing every 20 mins? I’ve no idea. But I’ve got sons who can’t play together as the split second disconnect always boots them for the game.

I did run the diagnostic tool in the router, and it says ‘some errors’, but I can’t progress from that screen.

any advice? Thanks in advance.

You could try assigning a static IP to the device to troubleshoot?

https://support.ubisoft.com/en-gb/Faqs/000025508/Setting-up-a-static-IP-address-for-Xbox-One 

Something high in the range like 192.168.0.200 will be ok.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I’ve just done this on his Xbox, I’ll run a test now and see if it holds or not.

It’s weird this problem has only started a week ago, it seems there is an issue with the connection between router and device, and I don’t know why.

Would logs explain anything, and how do I access them on the virgin router page?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Lavindathar wrote:
I’ve just done this on his Xbox, I’ll run a test now and see if it holds or not.

It’s weird this problem has only started a week ago, it seems there is an issue with the connection between router and device, and I don’t know why.

Would logs explain anything, and how do I access them on the virgin router page?

You can access the router on http://192.168.0.1  and check the 'Router Status', however I don't believe it has granular information on each specific device.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yeah this doesn’t show me anything relating to one device unfortuantely.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Lavindathar wrote:
Yeah this doesn’t show me anything relating to one device unfortuantely.

Hopefully setting a static IP helps.

If not I can only suggest a full reset of the Xbox, however that's last resort really!

Odd that it was ok running off the phone!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yeah it’s strange. A problem with the Xbox itself would of made sense.

However it’s a new problem that has just started recently, and only one device. And both wired and wired.

Static IP is holding so far without a disconnect.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ok, so it’s not fixed.

The static IP has made it better. It’s now a dc every hour or two compared to every 20 minutes, but it is still there.

And it’s still making the broadband useless as we have it so the kids can game together. At the moment, one of them is constantly disconnecting which resets all their progress.

Is there anything else I can try?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You can try factory resetting the hub?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I presume the effected XBOX has been patched to all of the latest updates from Microsoft?
If not, then run them and re-test :-). Failing that factory reset the effected xbox.

If the above is a no go, then its a flip of the coin as to what's at fault.  As you have stated, its just this xbox and not the other xbox (or other devices) 
I would lean on the side of the superhub been at fault and ask Virgin to replace it.  There again, you could always try and have the effected xbox replaced under warranty.

0 Kudos