cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ac68u setup. idiot proof.

zubairhussain
Joining in

Hi all.

after being with virgin media for 2 years and trying a tenda mesh system to eliminate blackspots. ive not purchased an asus ac68u ac1900 router which i intend to connect to my hub 3 to see whether it does a better job of transmitting the signal throughout my home.

from what i understand the hub 3 needs to be in modem mode. im clear on how to do that. but from there im unsure exactly what to do next. and in what order. i know i need to connect the hub 3 to the asis router.. but that is all.

i would appreciate any help and support as its causing me so much stress.. thats the only reason i decided on laying £160 out as i just want to solve the issue now.

thanks

18 REPLIES 18

archercj
Fibre optic

I've just forked out £270 on Asis ZenWifi CT8 mesh. basically two of the same routers you stick at either end of the house and let them do the rest.

As for your configuration - as you say Virgin router into modem mode (a tip here is to do a factory reset first, not mandatory but fixed a speed issue I had) then an ethernet connection from the 'special' port on your Virgin router (I've got Hub4 now and its the 3rd one down - google it for Hub3 if indeed it has one. Just dont use the WAN port). On the Asus router connect the ethernet cable from the Virgin router to your WAN port.

Now download the Asus router app onto your smart phone and go through the setup procedure. it will prompt you to specify what hardware you have got (Asus router) then should take you through setup once its connected to it including what WAN setup you have. Pick DHCP and then it should pick up the internet connection.

One reason i went for Asus was their interface software. really really good.

Forgot to say you can do the setup (or the tweaking) using a web browser to 192.168.0.1 (I think its also accessed via https://router.asus.com:8443).

The smart app will get you up and running pretty well though.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
This is the "standard" procedure.
-------------------------------------------

With the new router off and disconnected - put the VM hub into modem mode (see VM website for details) and wait for the base light to turn magenta. Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub must then be powered off. Then, set up your own router with the WAN port set to be in DHCP mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the WAN cable to the VM hub. Now power up the VM hub and you should get a connection. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect your own router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

much appreciated those steps seem pretty easy.will give it a whirl when it gets delivered.

thank you for ur replies. fingers crossed it sorts my issue

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What was the "model" of the Tenda Mesh system that didn't solve your problem?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

tenda nova mw3 x3

i dont have as many blackspots but the speed is pants in some rooms

I tried various MESH systems and Routers to solve my slow speeds.

I had Tenda TP Link P9 and 4 other routers.

For some reason with MESH systems my V6 boxes would never work properly and the speedtest

from them was less than 10, they now get around 136Mbs

I now use 2 x Asus AX56 (Ai Mesh), so far the signal and speed is exceptional. cost (£86 each on Prime Deal)

I easily get 370Mbs out in the Garage (pointless but satisfying)

Virgin BB 55MB, Hub 3, Tenda Router, Stream Box - United Artists/Telewest/VM Since 1990

that setup sounds very complicated lol

stressful aint it tho. wen ur net is pants.. jus hope my router cures my issues

is the asus one ive chosen any good?