cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus RTAX88U Superhub 3 DHCP does not function correctly

ValerieP
Joining in

Hi, I just had a 2 day issue where I had no internet to the house, I called today and they said their side was fine. My setup is a superhub 3 as a modem with an AX88U as the router. I check my PC plugged into port one of the hub and I can get a public IP address and access to the t'internet. However when I plug it into the previously working AX88U (for a couple of years without mods apart from the odd firmware update) I get the message I have seen on other posts that the ISP DHCP does not function correctly, I have tried changing the DNs from ISP provided to google, and to the DNS addresses given up if I connect my PC direct with no improvement. I have also set the DHCP mode to aggressive and continuous and cloned the MAC address. this is now driving me crazy as the kids are bereft without t'internet !! Any suggestions are appreciated.....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Set it up again in this sequence

Switch on and set up your own router/ (in its settings) with the WAN port set to be in Automatic IP i.e. DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Then, disconnect all cables from your new router and switch it off and unplug it.

Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode
( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode )
and leave 5' to initialise. Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off.

Next, switch your router on and make sure it’s fully initialised (again - leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub. You might also set the SSID and key/password on the new router/Mesh to match that on the HUB so when you swap over, all your wireless devices should just connect automatically.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Set it up again in this sequence

Switch on and set up your own router/ (in its settings) with the WAN port set to be in Automatic IP i.e. DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Then, disconnect all cables from your new router and switch it off and unplug it.

Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode
( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode )
and leave 5' to initialise. Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off.

Next, switch your router on and make sure it’s fully initialised (again - leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub. You might also set the SSID and key/password on the new router/Mesh to match that on the HUB so when you swap over, all your wireless devices should just connect automatically.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks, I managed it in the end. I tried your method but for some reason the Asus router seems to reset when I power cycle or reboot. In the end instead of using the advanced way to set it up I followed the wizard and it picked up the virgin network. Thanks for the advice though - I remember having to do similar a few years ago when I first set it up and you jogged my memory..