cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus AX88U router factory reset while in Virgin hub 3 modem mode

Claira42
Dialled in

I am having trouble with my Asus router as it seems to have reverted to the reasons why I had to buy a third party router in the first place (ie) because the virgin hub kept loosing my google outdoor cam. I am suspecting a bad firmware and I think a hard reset to factory settings might clear the problem, as I had no problems before the last two updates.

My question is, do I have to come out of modem mode to set up the asus router after hard reset? This was how I set the asus router up from out of the box before, so I need to know if I have to do this again before I hard reset because I will lose all connection until the asus router is set up again.

It does say that you need to do all the work on the asus router before you switch over to modem, but there is no information on what to do with virgin hub 3 in modem mode if a forced reset of the asus router is required.

Hope you understand what I mean.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

lotharmat
Community elder
You shouldn't have to!

The reason you have to do the work on the router first is because you can't hot swap MAC addresses (I think)

If it were me:

I'd power off the hub
Unplug the router from the hub
Reset the router
Re-configure the router
Plug the router back into the hub
Power back on the Hub.

That should have you working again!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Thanks. I'll let you know now I get on.

Can't believe how slow/disconnections the router has got after its last two firmware updates.

Maybe I should never have upgraded the firmware as I was getting no disconnections for over six months, but now I am getting station leaving reports every hour and it's always the google camera with a smaller antenna that is the problem. Just like it was when it was run from just the hub.

There is the theory of 'if it ain't broke; don't try and fix it'... 😉

Seems to be the case with routers!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

I went on another site and they have advised that I should turn off Smart connect, disable roaming and Wifi 6 things as I don't have anything requiring things like that in my house.

I have put the offending camera on my brothers 3/4g router and that has stopped the dropouts in feed, but I am still getting the disassociated and sending station is leaving or has left with rssi's in the 20's and 30's range, but as I have been told, it could be my brothers router and other neighbouring routers that are the problem and that is why I have been advised to find my own channel on 2.4g instead of leaving it up to smart connect.

I don't know much about all this stuff, so I am happy at present keeping it on smart connect as my camera is happy on my brothers router, but if anything happens, I will do as told to do and go down the route of turning off smart connect and disabling roaming etc.

I think resetting the router to factory settings if it does not wipe the current firmware will do nothing as the problems started in April which is why my brother had to buy his own router in May because he was getting constant drop out's so, still not sure if it is firmware or not, but before April, I had no drop outs but, it's just blown my mind trying to understand what is going on.

Today it's stable and I am not looking at the system log anymore as it's too confusing to understand.

Thanks all that have tried to help. I don't even know if Virgin is the problem as I just use them as a passthrough now so I don't check if they have been disconnecting to my asus router as I have no idea how to. This was the reason why I bought the third party router because of the cameras disconnecting and now it's happening again, but lets not go down that road again.

Lisa.