cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Area code different to listed online

Owlinbrum
Tuning in

Hi there,

There are many posts about area codes, but I can’t seem to find an answer to this query.

I’ve searched online to find a list of area codes and related post codes, and the area code I have which is on my billing does not match my postcode. Going by the third party list that is, as I realise there isn’t a definitive list posted by VM (that I can find anyway) online.

Please can someone confirm S43? The code I have apparently is for Doncaster and I’m nowhere near there!

Many thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There are certainly area codes (billing codes) in diverse locations across  the country. They are not unique like postcodes.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

lotharmat
Community elder
IIRC the billing codes are totally non-geographic! - They are likely legacy from the old multiple cable operators until VM swooped in!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There are certainly area codes (billing codes) in diverse locations across  the country. They are not unique like postcodes.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Owlinbrum

Thanks for the question 

If I also remember correctly 

The Area Code was the number in order that we completed an area for cabling 

Back in the day it was just for Tv and Landline 

So a few different areas might have the Same 2 digit code 

Gareth_L

Thanks Gareth_L. That would make sense, and interesting info. The third party lists online aren’t completely accurate by the sounds then.

It also confused me that my location (as far as Google is concerned) is easily ten miles away from my location. With the area code being 30 miles different, I was concerned. I’ve not come across this before. I’d have expected the location on my devices through the Wi-Fi to be my actual location based on the ip address from my property. That said, I don’t understand this as much as I’d like. I’ve had broadband hacked in the past, so I’m really making sure what I’m getting is correct. 

As a side, does messing with the dns setting help security. Though I don’t know enough about this. I should really post that separately, my apologies.

Many thanks for your time to respond and all the info I’ve received so far. It is much appreciated.

kr owlinbrum

I’m afraid I’m not quite sure how to mark each reply as helpful, but all have been. Thank you.