cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Area 31 WiFi issues

steveg440
Tuning in

In the last 3 weeks or so WiFi in this area has been awful. I wonder if recent work has caused an issue? Problem is everyone thinks issue is unique to them. It isn't. Virgin likely to lose a lot of customers with Hey Broadband marketing strongly in the area.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi steveg440, thanks for getting in touch.

Sorry to hear about the issues you've had with your WiFi. I've taken a look into this using your forum info, and can see that there are some issues with the hub that may require the attention of an engineer. 

Have a quick check of the connections to/from the hub and make sure there everything is snug & secure, and there are no kinks or pinching on the cabling. If things don't clear up please get back to me via PM and we'll be able to help further.

Tom 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

Z92
Trouble shooter

If problems are affecting your WiFi then it doesn't matter what provider you go with, you'll still get WiFi problems.

The best solutions is to connect to the hub with an ethernet cable instead.

Best you could also try using the 5 Ghz network instead which will not only be faster but less prone to interference.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You say "Wifi issues" - but do you mean that - or do you mean Network connection issues?

What are these issues? Slow speeds/disconnects/latency/or what?

And are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

What Hub model is it and what are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

By WiFi issues I mean that iPhones, iPad and Chromecast are either not picking up WiFi or are only getting it erratically. (I have 3 extenders in place.) I am also getting a new hub tomorrow as my existing one is dated - why are these not sent out automatically when they are upgraded?! Devices can be centimeters away from the hub and still not pick up WiFi. My comment about the upgrade is because it has got significantly worse in the last couple of weeks - so much so that notes have been put through doors asking if anyone else has WiFi issues with Virgin. No issues at all with the PC - ethernet connected or the printer which is also wired up. On the hub the top two lights are continually flashing as is the fourth one down. I have powered this down a number of times in the last week.

Steve

The hub is connected with an ethernet cable.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK sounds like it is just a wifi issue then and nothing to do with connection to the VM network and internet.

What "new" Hub model are you getting tomorrow to replace what model that you have now?

See if that solves the wifi issues - it may well 🙂

Post back when its up and running and report back on its performance

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I think a 3. I've got my fingers crossed!

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi steveg440, thanks for getting in touch.

Sorry to hear about the issues you've had with your WiFi. I've taken a look into this using your forum info, and can see that there are some issues with the hub that may require the attention of an engineer. 

Have a quick check of the connections to/from the hub and make sure there everything is snug & secure, and there are no kinks or pinching on the cabling. If things don't clear up please get back to me via PM and we'll be able to help further.

Tom 

Tom,

Thank you. I have just got a new Hub 3 and am waiting for my son to fit it.

Steve

Tom,

I'll wait and see if the new Hub fixes the issue before I book an engineer.

Again, thank you.

Steve