cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps wont download from playstore

Aaron_kehoe
On our wavelength

Hello, 

I'm a new customer to Virgin Media who has recently signed up for broadband. 

I've noticed that I can't download any apps from the Play Store on my Samsung S10 with my Hub 3. 

Whilst waiting for the installation I was connected to my downstairs neighbours Virgin Media WIFI and I don't have any problem and I've switched between the two to see that it's just my WIFI.

I've looked on other forums and there doesn't seem to be an answer for this problem and I was hoping to get some clarity.

Thank you.

67 REPLIES 67

@dandeedandan wrote:

Hi,

I have this problem since VM sent me a Hub 4 a few weeks ago. (Everything was fine on Hub 3).

I have two Samsung android tablets and a Samsung S10 phone. (Not such a big issue for the phone as it can download over 4g if I switch networ off).  None of them will download from the app store on my Virgin Media network but are absolutely fine on other networks. So it is definitely a problem with the VM network / not the app store or the device settings as has been suggested in previous answers. 

I saw another post on here where somebody said they had reset their Hub 4 to address this problem and had fixed it. If VM were to publish a full manual for the unit it might be possible to figure it out. But without that I am not prepared to fiddle with settings etc. 

They can’t provide a manual as things change with firmware updates.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

takhau
Joining in

Hi,

Same problem here, 4 Android devices in my home have problem on updating app on Google Play.  I can only update app by other network, such as mobile network, or through VPN with VM wifi.  Also tried to change the DNS setting on my devices, but still cannot update.  It is definitely a problem with the VM network.

Text and called VM, and they told me that is problem on Google Play.  Anyway, I will try to reset my Hub 3 tonight to try.

After searched on internet, seems this is a known issue but still no improvement from VM.  

Hi. Nothing to do with Playstore, I am sure. (Really annoying when one supplier tries to blame their failure on another). One person on here fixed the problem by factory reset, but that was on a Hub 3. I have a Hub 4 and that didn't work for me. I eventually managed to get through to VM on the phone and they sent out an engineer. He replaced the Hub 4 with a new Hub 4. Fixed! 

But I should stress that the problem only started for me when I was upgraded from Hub 3 to Hub 4. 

Good luck, hope you get it sorted.

takhau
Joining in

I had reset the Hub 3 last night, the WAN IP address is same as the IP before device reset.  The apps still cannot update on all my devices, but all the apps can be updated this morning.  Seems reset the Hub 3 works for this problem.

With ethe VM network, I had experienced following problems on my Android devices:

OTA update failed, and I need to change the DNS on the WiFi setting, or use my mobile network.

Cannot update apps from Google Play store, apps can be updated by using VPN, or use my mobile network.  Reset Hub 3 seems work and I will keep monitoring.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The following often works:-

Go to Settings > Apps > Google Play app > Storage and tap on Clear Cache and Clear Data

You also have to clear Google Play services using the same method and then log back into the store.

Following that you may need to restart your android device.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

robal_k
Tuning in

I have the same problem since few days ago. Google Play downloads don't start, or stall halfway through. After many many re-attempts, they sometimes succeed.

Switching phone to 4G immediately fixes the issue.

I was tearing my hair out. Tried everything. Wiping Google Play Services storage & cache, factory-resetting the phone, using another phone, even using Android Studio device emulator! All had the same problem (when using my WiFi).

I've also tried factory-resetting the Hub. Didn't help either.

It's definitely Virgin Media issue, although I've no idea why the issue is so limited to Google Play service. Most other things work relatively OK.

Using HUB 3.0:

Hardware version: 10
Software version: 9.1.1912.304

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @robal_k,

Thank you for taking your time to post on our community 🙂

Sorry to hear you've had some issues downloading from Play store.

Please can you confirm what handset you are using?

Thanks

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

I've used OnePlus 8T, Nexus 6 and Android Studio Device Emulator running Pixel 4a image.
Both physical handsets and the emulator could not download from Google Play Store

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello,

Thank you for confirming this for me.

Please can you try going to the Play store settings > Data usage > Enable WiFi.

Let me know if you have either already tried this or have tried it now for me.

Thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Problem still exists.

This is a VM network problem.

No, really, it is

Nothing to do with IP addresses, DNS servers, hub reboots, wired connections, viruses, AV software, firewalls, Play Store, resetting phones, phase of the moon ...

Any Android device now shows the same problem along with the stalled start of random Youtube videos. Switch to a different service, everything works, updates download immediately, Youtubes start immediately. It's just like the good old NTL proxy problems (Yeah, I remember those old lies). This is a CDN caching problem.

Anyway, reported to Google in the hopes that they'll prove the problem so that someone at VM can actually fix it properly.

Don't bother to reply or DM if all you have is the same old BS already posted, it's nothing to do with that.

Thanks.