cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps wont download from playstore

Aaron_kehoe
On our wavelength

Hello, 

I'm a new customer to Virgin Media who has recently signed up for broadband. 

I've noticed that I can't download any apps from the Play Store on my Samsung S10 with my Hub 3. 

Whilst waiting for the installation I was connected to my downstairs neighbours Virgin Media WIFI and I don't have any problem and I've switched between the two to see that it's just my WIFI.

I've looked on other forums and there doesn't seem to be an answer for this problem and I was hoping to get some clarity.

Thank you.

67 REPLIES 67

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Aaron,

Searching google shows this to be an S10 and normal android issue not just related to VM with a few possible solutions. 

Have  you done a network reset on your S10?

Go to Settings > Tap General Management > Tap Reset >  Tap Reset network settings >  Restart phone ( you could also perform a factory reset from there as a last resort)

If that doesn't work then try any or all of the following.

1) Clear Play Store data
Go to Settings > Tap Apps > Tap Google Play Store > Tap Storage > Tap Clear Data, then tap "OK" to confirm.

2) Reset the Download Manager
Go to Settings > Tap Apps > Tap the More options icon > Tap Show system apps  > Tap Download Manager. Check that the app is enabled (the icon should read Disable) > Tap Force Stop to shut down just this app. This won't affect any information on the device. > Tap Force stop on the prompt to confirm.

3) Check the date and time settings
Go to Settings > Tap General Management >Tap Date and Time >Select Date and time settings >  activate "Automatic date and time".

4) Remove and re-add Google Account
Go to Settings > Tap Accounts and backup > Tap Accounts > Tap your Google Account > Tap Remove Account > Tap Remove Account to confirm.
(Any information removed in this process will be downloaded onto the device once the account is added back in)
Tap Add Account >Tap Google > Enter your Google account log in details > Tap to agree to the Google Terms and Conditions to finish.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hello Dave,

Thanks for your suggestions however none of them worked and now my phone can't re-download the Google stuff. 

I dont understand how this is an s10 issue, in my old place my s10 worked fine with virgin media, it also works fine with my downstairs neighbours virgin media, its just not working for my newly installed hub 3. 

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again Aaron,

This has worked for a number of people

Turn on airplane mode >  Turn on WIFI  > Try checking for your app updates on Google Play (you might need to refresh the page again) > Also try downloading a new app > Turn off airplane mode

You say you are using the hub3, however a lot of people have found that if they have IP6 enabled on their router then Google Play won't work.

Some have resorted to using a VPN ask suggested by MikeRobbo in an earlier post

Others have uninstalled Google Play updates

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hello dave,

Aeroplane mode didnt work either, do you know how I use a vpn on google updates or on my hub? 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again Aaron,

Samsung Support UK  shows the steps needed to set up a VPN on your S10.

There's also a You Tube video  showing how to set up a VPN on the S10  (plenty more videos available if you search)

You will need to google for a VPN to use,  as an example though this site has a list of VPN's, some free and some you need to pay for, along with instructions to set one up on the S10 best-vpn-apps-for-samsung-galaxy-s10 

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Remembering that VPNs cost a lot of money to operate so that 'Free VPN' has to be paid for somehow !!

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

A VPN doesn't feel like a solution to me, I'd rather not have to pay more for my internet to work properly or give up my data for that to happen. 

Are Virgin Media looking at the problem at all? 

Using an ethernet connected device ...

Go to the app store and check your settings for the app store. There may be a list of authorised devices allowed to download and / or purchase from the store.

Otherwise it is time to phone them up.

You can contact VM to report your problem using ...

Text service on 07533051809

150 from Virgin landline.

0345 454 1111 from any other UK  phone.

The best time to call is 08:00 to get a UK agent, anything after 10:00 you must realise that you are quite likely to get through to an offshore agent that doesn't speak English as a first language.

Or you can wait on here for one of the VM Staff to pick up the thread but this may take a few days.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Google Play Help  /googleplay/answer/ 

Google Play Wifi GPlay Wifi help      Advanced tip: Check to see if firewalls are blocking access to ports required by Google Play (TCP and UDP 5228).

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Hi,

I have this problem since VM sent me a Hub 4 a few weeks ago. (Everything was fine on Hub 3).

I have two Samsung android tablets and a Samsung S10 phone. (Not such a big issue for the phone as it can download over 4g if I switch networ off).  None of them will download from the app store on my Virgin Media network but are absolutely fine on other networks. So it is definitely a problem with the VM network / not the app store or the device settings as has been suggested in previous answers. 

I saw another post on here where somebody said they had reset their Hub 4 to address this problem and had fixed it. If VM were to publish a full manual for the unit it might be possible to figure it out. But without that I am not prepared to fiddle with settings etc.