cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple devices

Macme
On our wavelength

Having serious issues with my Virgin hub4, all my apple devices have problems connecting to my hub, keeps dropping out have to constantly reboot hub and apple devices, Virgin technician replaced hub, I have reset new hub back to factory settings but still have issues, had no problems with Sky . Would appreciate any help as  Virgin states it’s not there problem, looks like it’s back to Sky! 

12 REPLIES 12

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
A simple solution would be to put the Hub into modem mode and use your own better quality router and wireless equipment - all my Apple devices work 100% like that.

£30-£100 should sort it - and will still be transferable to any other ISP you join that supplies low quality hubs.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Macme
On our wavelength

John, many thanks and sounds easy for a technical person like yourself, unfortunately a step to far for me. You would think Virginmedia would sort out the bugs with Apple devices for the customer, apart from the wireless issues very pleased with the TV service apart from no 4K on F1 coverage. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Its really not that hard - we have walk through guides to help you to do it.

One thing that might help is this - worth a shot first

If you haven't done this already - try it first - it helps sort some Hub3/4/5 wifi issues for some devices.
Go into the Hub’s settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless signal >smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box or “Smart Wifi” box and save settings.  May be different pathways and wording on the 3 Hub types
Then, go to advanced>wireless signal>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just type over to change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - Macme_2 & Macme_5)

Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices. Use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want each device to connect to… individually from the "available networks" listed on each of your devices wifi settings

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.

All things being equal, 5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less congestion/interference (and is better for iDevice speeds than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and will be needed when the 5 GHz drops out of range and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should also use a wifi analyser App (or Airport Utility on iOS) to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter as Apple devices all autoswitch themselves - and anyway you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.