Menu
Highlighted
JD9
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Anyway to turn internet off when not at home?

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Anyway to turn internet off when not at home?

You could have the hub or router plugged into a smart plug which can be remotely switched on and off. I have a TP-Link HS100 Wi-Fi Smart Plug which I can turn on or off either by WiFi or internet for my CCTV cameras.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Would a wifi smart plug really be the best idea as a choice of smart plug for turning off the device providing the wifi?

If you go the route of using a smart plug you'd need to get some that does so via bluetooth so you don't lose the ability to turn the plug back on after you've turned it off. Without having to manually go to the plug and hit the button that is.
JD9
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'm thinking to turn it off when I'm at work so my kids don't spend all day playing on devices

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Smart plug likely wouldn't work in that situation then, knowing kids they'll just unplug it and plug the Hub back in without it.
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@JD9 wrote:

I'm thinking to turn it off when I'm at work so my kids don't spend all day playing on devices

Take em 5 seconds to get round that.  Best bet is to unplug it and put it in your backpack and take it with you.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
louis-m
Up to speed
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Lol.... I used to have to do this 10 - 15 years ago when my kids were growing up. I did it via a scheduled firewall rule that blocked internet traffic for their devices/IP's. I have a VMB Hitron so can't comment on the hub3 etc.

It worked.... until 3G/4G came out and then I had to do a device amnesty at night otherwise they would be using the mobiles all night.