cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Garden Office Query...

STJ1876
Tuning in

Hi All, 

I know this has probably been asked a million times but cant find the specific solution to my query elsewhere.

We have recently had a garden office put in with the builders laying required coax cable from the house to the office. They havent connected it up and, currently, its just cable with no connectors on either end. When they laid the cable they said id need to get a "splitter" but not entirely sure of whats required.

I had thought that one end of the coax cable would go into the splitter in the house and the other would go into a new router / WAP in the office? Cant seem to find a router (that isnt a VM hub) that will accept a coax in?

Apologies if this seems a daft question or if im missing something obvious...

Cheers

19 REPLIES 19

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If possible and you get Ethernet cable installed, I would always advise the installation of 2 cables. It’s extremely cheap and will give you backup in the future, as the last thing you would want to do is dig it all up if there is a problem.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

adhsmith
On our wavelength
If you don't need the coax and the coax is in a conduit maybe you could just tape ethernet cable to one end and pull it through.

Can anyone recommend which external Ethernet cable to buy?

Thanks.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Just make sure it is at least Cat5e - but I would say get Cat6a as that has additional shielding from "cross-talk" and electrical interference - might help if you are running it adjacent to electrical mains cable. Solid core cable - rather than "stranded: should ensure a better/more "robust" connection. If its not running in conduit you could use cable that may have protection from a misplaced "spade strike".

Just mooch around the usual suppliers and see what the varying cable specs are and how much it will cost

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I’ve used these people in the past https://www.network-cabling.co.uk/store/index.php/cat6-products-cat6-cable-c-329_196

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

peter50
On our wavelength

I agree with most of the above.

You want to connect the router in your house to the computer in your office by ethernet cable.

It is technically possible to use the existing coax cable by putting an adapter at each end using a MoCA 2.5 adapter. Easy to self install.

https://mocainyourhouse.com/

These systems are popular in the USA where most rooms already have coax but there are sellers on ebay. You need an adapter for each end costing upwards of £150. The adapters need power. 

At the garden office end the ethernet could go straight into your PC. Alternatively you need a switch for £12 plus to provide ethernet to other devices. One other device could be a WiFi access point like a Virgin Pod so you can get support from virgin,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SG105S-Ethernet-Lifetime-Warranty/dp/B07HP5TN4S

Myself I put the Virgin Hub in router mode and use a Netgear Orbi mesh system with an ethernet back bone.. You will need to find someone to support this if your not minded to learn.

You can use the Virgin TVGo app on your PC to watch Virgin TV at no extra cost.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@STJ1876 wrote:

Can anyone recommend which external Ethernet cable to buy?

Thanks.

What is the total length of the cable run from VM hub inside to inside the garden office?

Distance might be a factor in so far as what's readily available in cut lengths of cable and quite a difference in cost of the different Cat# versions depending on how much you want to buy. Also check any cable you are looking at is copper rather than copper clad aluminium (CCA).

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

With the max length of 100 meters for Ethernet it’s not likely to be a problem? Just buy a 100 meter drum of cable and it’s easy to make you own.  Yes agree , stay clear of CCA cables for external usage. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Wasn't referring to the 100m technical limitation of cable length (unless the OP has an extremely long garden!) but more to do with getting hold of convenient cut lengths of cable without buying a huge reel. I'm often surprised when I run in cable just how long a run can turn out to be by the time all the turns and changes in height are included in the run.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@goslow wrote:

<snip>     I'm often surprised when I run in cable just how long a run can turn out to be by the time all the turns and changes in height are included in the run.

That's very true, and why I buy on the drum and make my own.  🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks