cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An alternative to the Hub 5X?

maxthegold
Tuning in

Has anybody tried this as an alternative to the Hub 5x.

https://www.adtran.com/en/products-and-services/fiber-access-and-aggregation/optical-network-termina...

I have seen them on ebay for about 30 pounds.

Would get over the lack of modem mode if they are compatible.

9 REPLIES 9

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You will not get VM to authorise a third party modem on their network.  It’s VM kit or nothing.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Cardiffman282
Super solver

With VM you have to use a Hub. 

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here
Demand compensation from VM here
Demand your call recordings here
Monitor the state of your VM connection here

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In the distant NTL past, many eons ago, you could buy your own cable modem for use. However you had to buy it from a certain supplier and yes, it was NTL.   😊

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Client62
Legend

At only £30 let us know how you get on !

Adduxi ,

I wasn't planning on asking VM for permission, I just wondered if it would work. I have done something similar with TalkTalk in the past and it worked fine.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Completely different to TT.  VM will not allow 3rd party modems on the network. 

Client62 ,

Sadly I am unable to test it myself as I cancelled my account. I just couldn't continue with the useless 5x hub and had to get out before my 14 days were up, so I didn't get chance to fully investigate and test.

@maxthegold wrote:

Client62 ,

Sadly I am unable to test it myself as I cancelled my account. I just couldn't continue with the useless 5x hub and had to get out before my 14 days were up, so I didn't get chance to fully investigate and test.

It wouldn't have worked, as per above.

Adduxi ,

What a shame, would have been so much simpler.