cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon taking over my Router?

Robwho
Tuning in

My Virgin router now identifies itself as Amazon and has slowed down considerably on Speedtest.  Can anyone shed any light on this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Robwho wrote:

Hi,

My connection to the net slowed down considerably so i tried to login to my router but was not able to connect so I tried Speedtest and, instead of Virgin I am seeing Amazon as the testing site.  I'm sorry, I don't know the actual terms to use.  I have just trien my iPhone on Speedtest and I get Vodafone next to the network symbol and PVDataNet next to the world symbol and am getting 250 Mbps on download (my laptop) has Amazon 3.9.14.136  next to a man figure  and Structured Communications London next to the world symbol and get a download speed of 86 Mbps.  Both laptop and iPhone are connected to the same router by Wi-Fi and are using the same SSID.  Thank you for your help

If you are referring to the Speedtest site, there is a large 'Go' button to run the test.

Below on the left you should see Virgin Media and your IP address listed

Below and to the right you will see the name of the collaborating server that the Speetest website is going to use to run the test. That is normal behaviour of the Speedtest site.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

19 REPLIES 19

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Robwho wrote:

My Virgin router now identifies itself as Amazon and has slowed down considerably on Speedtest.  Can anyone shed any light on this?

In what way is your VM hub now identifying itself as Amazon?

Hi,

My connection to the net slowed down considerably so i tried to login to my router but was not able to connect so I tried Speedtest and, instead of Virgin I am seeing Amazon as the testing site.  I'm sorry, I don't know the actual terms to use.  I have just trien my iPhone on Speedtest and I get Vodafone next to the network symbol and PVDataNet next to the world symbol and am getting 250 Mbps on download (my laptop) has Amazon 3.9.14.136  next to a man figure  and Structured Communications London next to the world symbol and get a download speed of 86 Mbps.  Both laptop and iPhone are connected to the same router by Wi-Fi and are using the same SSID.  Thank you for your help

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Robwho wrote:

Hi,

If you are referring to the Speedtest site, there is a large 'Go' button to run the test.

Below on the left you should see Virgin Media and your IP address listed

Below and to the right you will see the name of the collaborating server that the Speetest website is going to use to run the test. That is normal behaviour of the Speedtest site.

Yes, exactly right. Except below the big button on the left I am seeing Amazon with  3.9.14.136 under it.  No mention of Virgin anywhere on the page.

Yes, exactly right. Except below the big button on the left I am seeing Amazon with  3.9.14.136 under it.  No mention of Virgin anywhere on the page.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Robwho wrote:

OK, I understand what you mean.

One of the networking experts on here will be able to advise but some past topics have mentioned cases where VM has bought up IP addresses from other companies and the IP address ranges have not been re-registered to VM correctly when deployed.

Don't know if that is likely to apply in this case but someone on here will be able to tell you, I'm sure.

I have now switched the Norton 360 VPN off on the laptop and it is showing Virgin Media **.**.***.* and 184 Mbps on Speedtest.  It makes no sense!  In order to get speed i have to turn off my VPN protection?

Why are you using VPN on your domestic internet connection ?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Robwho wrote:

I have now switched the Norton 360 VPN off on the laptop and it is showing Virgin Media ##.##.##.## and 184 Mbps on Speedtest.  It makes no sense!  In order to get speed i have to turn off my VPN protection?

Ah, well that's a function of a VPN! It hides your true IP address!

Using a VPN may well affect speed test results so turn the off the VPN when testing!

You should remove your real IP address from the post