cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon echo dot delay when streaming audio

alan_twigg
Joining in

Hi - Can anyone help/explain whats happening with my 2 x echo dots?

When i ask Alexa to stream, for example, Magic Radio or Amazon music, there is a delay of approx 10-15s before I hear anything. When streaming starts all is ok, no dropouts.

With my existing BT broadband there is no delay.

The BT and VM networks are separated i.e not connected together

Both dots are affected similarly, Alexa responds immediately.

I have Voom fibre 2, Hitron router and a static ip.

Dots are connected to the 5Ghz wifi ( I have tried the 2.4 ghz - same result ) Dots are located 5 and 10m from the router.

I have 2 x ipads & 2 x dots connected at the moment.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thankyou

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

g0akc
Problem sorter

I’m guessing it’s due to the GRE tunnel used for the static IP address - and reduced MTU size?

Also CDN?

Business connections are out of scope really on here - try discussing with Virgin Business.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So are you running 2 wifi networks in the same property ?  That's a recipe for disaster as they will be conflicting with each other. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

g0akc
Problem sorter

I’m guessing it’s due to the GRE tunnel used for the static IP address - and reduced MTU size?

Also CDN?

Business connections are out of scope really on here - try discussing with Virgin Business.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Hi thanks for your input, yes I have 2 x separate, not connected wifi networks, only one of which supplies dhcp.

I have separated the channels that the wifi are using so as to minimise disruption, this is a stop gap solution while I transit over to Virgin.

I’ll take this issue up with the Business unit.

Best Regards

Alan

It is no different than two neighbours each having wifi.

@Adduxi wrote:

So are you running 2 wifi networks in the same property ?  That's a recipe for disaster as they will be conflicting with each other. 

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5