Menu
sheppypie
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Amazon Echo Dot

Hey Guys

I have recently joined VM & have a Tivo V6 & Broadband.

I notice that alongside the Tivo on my home network is a device called "amazon-6dbf907fe-cable-virginmedia-net" which is an Echo Dot device.

Now I don't own any Amazon products, though I do use Amazon Prime, though not through my Tivo.

It is happily transmitting data to/from internet.

Can't see anything in the Tivo menu? Is it a hub thing?

What is this device used for and can it be accessed/configured? 

Thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Amazon Echo Dot

Where are you seeing this? cable.virginmedia.net addresses are for kit within Virgin Media's network as far as I know, not for devices in your home

When do you see traffic going to that address and how are you monitoring it?
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
sheppypie
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hey Ben

Thanks for a prompt response.

I see it on my home network as a device, it's assigned it's own IP.

I see it within my router as an attached device (I use my own router and have a passthrough from the VM Hub).

Bizarrely it's currently off line, though I can see it has connected at some point again through the router and also that it did have inbound/outbound packets.

My Tivo V6 box is on, still not here.......maybe a hub thing?

It's MAC address is "**:**:**:**:**:**" which I've looked up and defo belongs to Amazon.

I'm going to reboot everything

0 Kudos
sheppypie
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Snooping around my router (which is a linksys wrt1900ac) it has Domain Name: cable.virginmedia.net under router info.
I used to work for Virgin Media Digital Bank, though not sure why that would overwrite my router info?!
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hmm. I may have to revise what I said earlier - I'll check my own setup when I'm at home.

Although my current thought is that because you're running in modem mode, then the end point of the Virgin Media network ends at your router as that's the device assigned the external IP address.

I've realised it's been a while since I've had to think about the naming of devices like this so I'm a little rusty!
sheppypie
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Any help appreciated 😉
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Out of interest are you running any powerline kit you've carried over from an existing setup i.e. not specifically bought when you swapped to VM?
0 Kudos
sheppypie
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have used Powerline adaptors though many many moons ago, I can't say for definite if used in conjunction with this router, probably not.

I have definitely used wifi extenders with this router in the past, though not now.

Current setup is Ubiquiti APs for wifi and hardwired cat6 ports all running back into a POE switch.

Switch obviously connected to Router.

Tivo is hardwired.

0 Kudos
sheppypie
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ben, update.

Apologies I have found the rogue device on my network, my son has an old Amazon Fire HD tablet (even though product info says it's an echo dot lol).

Not important now, however, it would be good to know about your previous comment around the modem mode and the end point/domain being a virgin suffix.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@sheppypie wrote:

Not important now, however, it would be good to know about your previous comment around the modem mode and the end point/domain being a virgin suffix.

Just as with a website address is both a name you type in to a browser and an IP address, the same is true for the IP addresses assigned to end user kit.

When an IP address is assigned, it's at the last point that is designed to accept that assignment. A modem is designed to be invisible to an IP address assignment as it's not an end device in itself, whereas a router or computer is an end device.

As you're running in modem mode, it's your own router that's given the public IP address, and that public IP address also has a hostname that can identify where and on what bit of kit you're connected to the Virgin Media network.

There's full explanation as to what a hostname is on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostname

So your router knows what the external hostname of your IP address is. I guess in your case it then adds that to the internal networking devices for logging purposes.