cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative to SamKnows?

Zatoichi
Tuning in

Hi everyone.

I was having issues with the Hub 4 with wired connections (dropping connections and slow speed at times) so opted for a Nighthawk x6 and putting the hub in modem mode (connecting my MacBook Pro directly to the modem/hub did not work either with SamKnows).

In doing so SamKnows no longer works and it seems a lot of speed checkers can't handle the 1gig fibre connection. I keep getting told i'm getting only 200-250mbps but suspect its faster. Anyone know of an accurate alternative to test the speed?

Thanks in advance.

10 REPLIES 10

lotharmat
Community elder
Does speedtest.samknows.com work? (different from the realspeed .... from SK)

Also - the OOkla one should work!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Remember though that most tests are testing the speed over your home network to the site, so will be affected by your internal setup.

The Real Speed test on the Hub 4 is the only one that can test to the Hub itself and so can exclude any internal networking issue. But it will do another test to your device so you can see the difference which can help identify where any issue lies.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

g0akc
Problem sorter

For 'serious' diagnostics I usually start by testing the LAN side - with something like LAN Speed Test Lite;

https://totusoft.com/lanspeed

Test with another computer on your network or NAS etc.

Then, to check the WAN, I use either Ookla or SamKnows

You can also arrange to test with a mate, if they can arrange FTP off their network, and they have a good connection

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Thanks! Did not know about http://speedtest.samknows.com Says I am only getting 178mbps so something is not right!

Tried OOkla too. Same result!

Hmmm something to look into.

Thanks guys!

Strange that I only get the full 1gig when the hub is on router mode. Just not getting the full speed.

Starting to think the hub does not like Netgear products.

Have you got any QoS enabled on the Netgear?

Sometimes this is enabled by default!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

No been turned off.

Seems the Virgin hub will only do until 200-250mbps in modem mode.