Menu
SAkers1975
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Alternative router to SH4

Hi All,

I currently have the 1Gig service and the Super Hub 4, although has improved Wi-Fi than the previous SH3, it's still a bit patchy.

Are there any alternative routers out there which some of you use which you would recommend?

Looking for something with more than 4 Gigabit ports and excellent Wi-Fi coverage.

Budget of around £400-£500 for the router.

Thanks in advance

Stephen

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Alternative router to SH4

You can get a decent Wifi6 (AX) ASUS router for that money, or a decent Tri-Band Wifi6 (AX) mesh system by Netgear, or again ASUS.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
SAkers1975
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Gary

Any recommendations on models?

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Something like this TP-Link Deco M9 Plus Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi with Built-in Smart Home Hub, Up to 4500 sq ft Coverage, ...

You will also need a switch if you need more ports.  So Hub in Modem mode -> First Mesh Node -> Switch -> Rest of network as needed.

Also additional switches can be added to the upstream Nodes if required.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Are you looking for a single standalone router or a mesh system?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
mjpartyboy
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The Asus AX88U might do the job. I don't have any hands-on experience with this model though. I have used Asus routers for many years and they've performed great for me: N66U to AC68U to AC86U

SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node
0 Kudos
SAkers1975
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@gary_dexter Looking for whatever gives me best speeds and coverage basically
0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

With that budget you get a topend system.

Question is can you get the router to centre of the house or is it stuck to side of the property. This will determine if you need a router or a mesh.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

OK so..

Property size, construction type, number of rooms, number of devices, types of devices, AC or AX connectivity.. etc

0 Kudos
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

A single ‘home router’ will not give you excellent WiFi over your whole home. You really need a Ethernet wired Wireless Access Point to cover the upstairs. If you go for a mesh system you will also need a network switch and it’s always best to use Ethernet cabling for one of the upstairs mesh points.

Don’t forget a mesh system needs power for all its nodes and some, but not all, are not very good looking. I have two Unifi WAPs, one upstairs and one downstairs and you cannot even see them, as the are on top of cupboards. I get excellent WiFi of over 500Mbs on my iPad Pro everywhere. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2