cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative router to SH4

SAkers1975
On our wavelength

Hi All,

I currently have the 1Gig service and the Super Hub 4, although has improved Wi-Fi than the previous SH3, it's still a bit patchy.

Are there any alternative routers out there which some of you use which you would recommend?

Looking for something with more than 4 Gigabit ports and excellent Wi-Fi coverage.

Budget of around £400-£500 for the router.

Thanks in advance

Stephen

14 REPLIES 14

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
You can get a decent Wifi6 (AX) ASUS router for that money, or a decent Tri-Band Wifi6 (AX) mesh system by Netgear, or again ASUS.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Thanks Gary

Any recommendations on models?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Something like this TP-Link Deco M9 Plus Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi with Built-in Smart Home Hub, Up to 4500 sq ft Coverage, ...

You will also need a switch if you need more ports.  So Hub in Modem mode -> First Mesh Node -> Switch -> Rest of network as needed.

Also additional switches can be added to the upstream Nodes if required.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Are you looking for a single standalone router or a mesh system?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

The Asus AX88U might do the job. I don't have any hands-on experience with this model though. I have used Asus routers for many years and they've performed great for me: N66U to AC68U to AC86U

SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node

@gary_dexter Looking for whatever gives me best speeds and coverage basically

With that budget you get a topend system.

Question is can you get the router to centre of the house or is it stuck to side of the property. This will determine if you need a router or a mesh.

----------------------------------------------------------
M125 Volt powered by TP-Link Archer AX55

OK so..

Property size, construction type, number of rooms, number of devices, types of devices, AC or AX connectivity.. etc

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A single ‘home router’ will not give you excellent WiFi over your whole home. You really need a Ethernet wired Wireless Access Point to cover the upstairs. If you go for a mesh system you will also need a network switch and it’s always best to use Ethernet cabling for one of the upstairs mesh points.

Don’t forget a mesh system needs power for all its nodes and some, but not all, are not very good looking. I have two Unifi WAPs, one upstairs and one downstairs and you cannot even see them, as the are on top of cupboards. I get excellent WiFi of over 500Mbs on my iPad Pro everywhere. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2