cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All4 geoblock

randnet
Joining in

I have a smart TV that is connected to my network via WiFi. All the built in apps work except all4. 

All4 used to work but recently it will not play anything. The error message says geoblock. On an Android device connected to the WiFi it just says "forbidden".

If I creat a wireless hotspot on my phone and connect the TV to it, everything works fine. Similarly, using my mobile network on my phone allows me to stream all4. It's only when I use virgin connection that it has an error.

I am not using any VPN and have not changed the default DNS or any other settings.

I am using my virgin router in modem mode and connect my devices using a nest WiFi. I have not changed any of my home network setup for 2 years but this issue has suddenly occured approx 3 months ago.

Oddly, my V6 box is connected to an Ethernet switch which is connected to the nest router and all4 works fine on that, it's only on devices connected via WiFi.

I have rebooted the virgin hub many times, rebooted my whole network and tried using the virgin hub as a wireless router rather than in modem mode but nothing works. Also cleared the cache of the app on the TV and phone and factory reset the TV but no joy.

Any ideas why all4 would think my virgin connection is outside the UK?

34 REPLIES 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

Check the geo settings of your devices re location and time zone. 

Also see this Sky forum thread re Ip addressing https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Glass/All-4-geoblock/td-p/4013372

Mobile phone, for example, works on 4g and 5g, but not on the virgin hub connection. 

Whatismyip.com shows my ISP as virgin and location is correct so can't fathom why all4 think I'm outside UK, especially since it works ok over Ethernet through the same internet connection, just not over WiFi.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @randnet,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm very sorry to hear that you're experiencing some issues with accessing the All4 App. We understand how frustrating this can be.

I understand that you use a third party Router to use WiFi. Can you please let us know if the All4 App works when you use the Virgin Media Hub in Router Mode?

Is this issue impacting all WiFi connected Devices?

Please let us know so we can help further.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

@Paulina_Z wrote:

Hi @randnet,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm very sorry to hear that you're experiencing some issues with accessing the All4 App. We understand how frustrating this can be.

I understand that you use a third party Router to use WiFi. Can you please let us know if the All4 App works when you use the Virgin Media Hub in Router Mode?

Is this issue impacting all WiFi connected Devices?

Please let us know so we can help further.

Thank you.

The OP already stated it’s the same in router mode (just the VM hub, not with third party router)

“and tried using the virgin hub as a wireless router rather than in modem mode but nothing works.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @randnet 

Have you tried contacting Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries? www.channel4.com/contact 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Good Afternoon @randnet, have you been able to follow the suggestion by @newapollo?

Does perhaps the TV or All4 app need a software update?

What version of the application are using?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

andrew_clare
Tuning in

I am having the exact same issue.

I used All4 app daily without any issues, then suddenly, a couple of weeks ago, I started getting the same error messages.

Have you found any solution?

No. It happens on any device using all4, e.g. a tablet, phone or TV, so the issue must be with the router or the IP address. Perhaps all4 have an allow/deny list of IP address ranges or something. All4 support blames virgin. I've given up.

Hi randnet, 

Don't give up just yet please. 

Let me send you a private message so I can look into this in a bit more detail.

If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L