cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on improving wifi?

Grubbs
On our wavelength

I'm just looking at signing up for a new deal with virgin but the only thing putting me off is the wifi and internet speed we have 200 broadband but it keeps dropping out and is useless most of the time.

I want to sort my package but I'm reluctant while it's this bad and wants the freedom to walk away. I'm looking at reducing the speed to 100MB as the speed when working was fine at 100 but now due to wifi issues, we can barely watch tv when streaming and it drops while my son is gaming.

Has anyone else found a cure for this? I've rebooted, restarted almost daily, and now before watching a film we have to plan ahead and restart the router just to have a chance of it being half decent?

Also on another note does anyone have a price for the new 360 services again really want to add this to my new deal but despite talking to an agent on chat they couldn't offer me a price?

I've tried to chat and call for both of these and got nowhere it either takes ages or the chat goes round in circles and keeps you waiting hours.

25 REPLIES 25

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
For clarity, VM Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Ultimate Oomph or Volt packages - is that you?

If not… you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

Get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters, (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Grubbs
On our wavelength

Ok I’ll take a look into that.

so are we saying that the only way to fix this is to buy this and spend money on a monthly subscription and that it won’t work without the mesh system?

I believe from the really helpful comments before that I do have a problem? Can I get someone to come out and take a look and test the router/hub

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
If wifi works VM seems to not care about how well its doing only if wired speed is good.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for clarifying @jbrennand. 🙂

Hi Grubbs,

Following the conversation thread and the data you posted along with my diagnostics, the issues you had with RS errors and signal levels were minor and addressed upon reboot. It did not appear to be in relation to the wifi issues, which unfortunately an engineer visit would not be able to address.Apologies.

Cheers,

Corey C

Grubbs
On our wavelength

Ok thanks for all your help. You’ve helped answer my question and helped with my decision. I think I might as well drop my speed and reduce my costs and buy a new WiFi router.

rather than signing up for a new £100 a month contract for 18 months with WiFi that drops out and getting stuck with virgin.

can anyone advise on a suitable router I can buy from Amazon etc?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

see this post I made before as it will give a few starters to look at

The cognoscenti will always say (correctly) that the best thing to to do is connect Wireless Access Points directly to the Hub or your own better router by ethernet cables. However some would say a good Mesh will be the best/simplest/most flexible for most average users who dont want to run ethernet cables.   A Tri-band Mesh system is better for the "backhaul" and for users on high speed packages and umpteen simultaneous connections. Wifi6 is future proofing for getting speeds over 600 mbps on wifi.

Another option is to extend the ethernet connections (and wifi) via powerline adaptors - they work well for lots of people - including for my "gaming son" in his bedroom and they can be "cheap and cheerful".

What you go for depends on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£40-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router (TP-Link Archer C6) but 'may' not on its own solve the wifi in your house, but spending ~£500 will get the “Rolls Royce” solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system with WiFi6 (may cost a bit more). You'll probably want something suitable - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users, and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat, more for a stone built 8 bedroom mansion

Good options for Access points/Wifi routers/Mesh systems come from Ubiquiti, Asus, TP-Link Deco's M4/M5, Linksys Velop's, Netgear Orbi's (and others) – I would stick with these companies whose business this is - rather than “newcomer” and data-driven” companies like Google, Amazon, etc. Also be sure the router or Mesh specifically says that they have 1GB ethernet ports - some of the cheaper ones only have 100Mbps ports. WiFi6 is also future proofing for faster connections.

Recently, just as an example... three of my friends who all live in brick built 3/4 bed semis, just got TP-Link Deco M5 3-packs (~£150) and all said it is - “absolutely brilliant with excellent wifi speeds in all rooms, the attic and the garden, and the App is a doddle to use”. The first Mesh unit becomes the new router - you need to check whether the one you look at has all the "features” you need. Ethernet ports are usually limited to 1 or 2/unit , so you “may” need to add in an unmanaged GB port switch (<£20) in there as well. My mates also get "full speeds" from the ethernet ports on the Deco's in the remote locations. Finally if you get a 2/3-pack of any Mesh system, which doesn’t cover dead spots everywhere, you can just add in extra unit(s).

Take a look at what fits your needs, tech ability, house layout and budget. Use sites like Techradar & Techadvisor for reviews of "Best Routers" or "Best Mesh". Post again if you want personal recommendations from others on your short list

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.