Menu
hurricane500
Joining in
Message 1 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Advanced Network Error Search - ANGRY!

Hi, after hours on the support and chat I am back to nowhere...

Soooooo.... Virgins obtrusive (and possibly in contravention of GDPR and anti competitive) advanced network search, that kicks in when you mistype a url is in my opinion, deliberately difficult to switch off... It also stops me logging into certain cpanels and I have to use a proxy to get to them... 

When it says disabled, it is not (see photos), I have rebooted the router, restarted computers and cleared the caches on various browser many times.

I have had 2 long support chats where they said they said that they have switched it off or that it is already off, I've done all the restarts and reboots required etc... Ad infinitum ..... still the same....

I've posted to their facebook page but of course that's controlled and just floats by into the ether... Sadly Virgin are the only service with any decent speed where I live, so I'm stuck with them... frustrating...

Does anybody have the same issue or a solution for this, I've tried all the ones I've found on threads here...

Help appreciated,

Mat.

Screenshot 2019-01-11 at 09.21.17.png

Screenshot 2019-01-11 at 07.41.55.png

0 Kudos
chenks
Wise owl
Message 2 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Advanced Network Error Search - ANGRY!

many threads and posts about this.
it's is annoying, but there is no GDPR issue with it.
0 Kudos
hurricane500
Joining in
Message 3 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for you reply, that's why I said possibly .... but there is a question over it, as they are intercepting my data and re-routing it for commercial purposes... but really that's not what I'm here to discuss.... that's just me being annoyed! lol I would rather try to get the issue fixed, which currently seems to be impossible.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 4 of 27
Flag for a moderator

A forum team member should be along next week to turn ANES off for you.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
chenks
Wise owl
Message 5 of 27
Flag for a moderator

@hurricane500 wrote:

Thanks for you reply, that's why I said possibly .... but there is a question over it, as they are intercepting my data and re-routing it for commercial purposes... but really that's not what I'm here to discuss.... that's just me being annoyed! lol I would rather try to get the issue fixed, which currently seems to be impossible.

hardly intercepting it. all the data is going thru their system anyway!

0 Kudos
chenks
Wise owl
Message 6 of 27
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

A forum team member should be along next week to turn ANES off for you.

but as it's already off all they will do is turn it on and then back off again (i've just went thru the process of what they do), and ask you to try again.

0 Kudos
hurricane500
Joining in
Message 7 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I've done it myself a couple of times and they have also said they have done it... and guess what..... with all the restarts and cache clears... I think I might just set up googles DNS on the router.... as they can't help.

0 Kudos
hurricane500
Joining in
Message 8 of 27
Flag for a moderator

What does that mean? Along on this forum, to my house? vaguely something? I've already done it with them twice on their chat system...
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Advanced Network Error Search can enter a persistent on state that no amount of toggling off / on will resolve. Consider:

• waiting for a forum team member (as already mentioned by Roger_Gooner) and be aware it can take them a few days to work through to your post
  • phoning again to pursue a resolution
  • switching DNS provider (as already noted by you)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
chenks
Wise owl
Message 10 of 27
Flag for a moderator

@hurricane500 wrote:

I've done it myself a couple of times and they have also said they have done it... and guess what..... with all the restarts and cache clears... I think I might just set up googles DNS on the router.... as they can't help.

that makes no difference.
i have always used google DNS at router level, and it still kicked in.