Menu
UKIkarus
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Advanced Features?

Is there any way at all to gain access to what I personally would consider to be "Simple" features that most devices would allow configuration for such as DNS and Static Routes?

I have a home-lab on its own network configured and would like the Virgin Hub to handle routing between the physical network handled by the Hub and the lab environment handled by myself.

While I can configure this using "Modem Mode" and another more capable device that isn't locked down, or configure static routes individually on each machine. It would be much easier and more convenient if this option would be available and handled by the Hub itself.

Not having the ability to access such simple features on a device which is quite literally built to do so (hence the term "Router") is a real hindrance more than a security feature.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Advanced Features?

Short answer- no.

Long answer, whilst there are some workarounds in the public domain for, say, changing default IP., there is no chance of convincing ANY hub it should do the kind of things you are looking for.

TBF I dont get what the issue with modem mode and your own device LAN side is, especially if you want the sort of granular control a lab will need.

0 Kudos
UKIkarus
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The only issue is having to buy another piece of hardware, convenience more than anything.

While I agree that this would be the best option with regards to the granular configuration and features available that I require, the Hub provided is supposed to be a router and quite frankly do the routing I require, simply because that is what a router does.

Unfortunately most ISP seem to remove these simple features and either call it unnecessary or state that it's in the interest of security.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The Hub3 is a very simplistic piece of equipment without many facilities you can get in a proper router, and I mean router, not a retail type combined box of router/network switch/WAP. Best thing to do is to by a good real router.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos