Menu
kuchars22
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Adding an Asus router to SH2

I'm considering getting an ASUS router RT-AC3200 or RT-AC5300, so that I can run the router with an OpenVPN registered to my VPN provider. Am I correct that I must still have the SH2, albeit set to modem mode? The other reason for the purchase is to increase the range and stability of wifi during downloads. I have 100 Vivid, Netflix on two screens, three mobiles (two of which are AC iPhones) and a tablet running at the same time, perhaps XBOX for online gaming. Throughput is good, but sometimes everything slows down whenever I'm doing large downloads on a Mac Book Pro (AC).

Which of these two routers is recommended? I don't actively upload much, just download - is dual-band sufficient or a few extra pounds do I get tri-band?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Adding an Asus router to SH2

I urge you to read this advice on WiFi so that you don't misposition the Asus router.
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/UNDERSTANDING-KEY-ASPECTS-OF-WiFi/td-p/3870...

Either router will do you as you are constrained by the 100Mbps broadband circuit.

The SH2 does have WiFi issues so modem mode is the right way to connect your router.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Hero
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@kuchars22 wrote:

Which of these two routers is recommended? I don't actively upload much, just download - is dual-band sufficient or a few extra pounds do I get tri-band?

Are not both of these models tri-band?  Both on good deals at Amazon.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
kuchars22
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

AC88U is dual band whilst the other is tri-band. Yes, that's where I am looking for the deals, not bad price for the AC5300

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Hero
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@kuchars22 wrote:

AC88U is dual band whilst the other is tri-band. Yes, that's where I am looking for the deals, not bad price for the AC5300

Sorry - but you said   "I'm considering getting an ASUS router RT-AC3200 or RT-AC5300,"  no mention of 88's Smiley Happy

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
kuchars22
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ah, sorry, I meant to say AC88U vs RT-AC3200 OR RT-AC5300, so three models to consider, but I think RT-AC3200 is being discontinued (I may be wrong). I'm leaning towards the 5300 as it's only £260 from Amazon, £219 for 88U

0 Kudos
Tudor
Superstar
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Personally for that cost I would buy separate router, Wireless Access Point and network switch. I believe my Ubiquiti kit is much more versatile and if any one part fails in the future you do not have such an outlay to replace it. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
kuchars22
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I've been in computer networking for over 20 years, and I've built my home on a Cat5e 12 years ago. I already have a gigabit switch, just replaced 6 months ago (unmanaged), and then the Superhub 2.0 (think it's 2.0, it supports AC anyway). I don't mind spending a bit on the router, as long as it's the right one and can do the job for many years to come. My last router was around 10 years ago (Linksys WRT series) and I don't really plan on replacing kit for the sake of it unless faulty. Usually, by the time a piece of IT equipment fails outside of warranty, it's out-of-date anyway and has been superseded by newer and more functional model, so I don't mind buying something bang up-to-date.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Hero
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If what you are after is state of the art wifi across your property then you wont do much better than a suitably sized network of the Ubiquiti range of wireless access points - as used in umpteen internet cafes, hotel lobbies, retail outlets etc.  Connected to a more modest router that has the features you need/want & an appropriately powered POE injector.

--------------------
0 Kudos
kuchars22
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Interesting. I have come across this brand a few years ago when searching for external wifi antennas. Just visited their site and will check this out thanks. 

0 Kudos