Menu
FredG123
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Adding an AP to my SH3

I have an office down the end of my garden, with a wired connection from my SH3 to it. Up until I got the SH3, I had a Belkin router, set up as an access point, with DHCP off, which I used to connect both wired connections and wireless connections such as my phone and ipad to. However, since the SH3 was installed, whenever i use the Belkin router, the wifi signal in the house switches off completely. How can I fix this?

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Adding an AP to my SH3

Which WiFi is lost, hub or Belkin?

And are you getting wired internet from the Belkin?

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
0 Kudos
FredG123
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The wifi in the house, from the SH3, turns off completely. The wifi in the office works fine, plus all the wired connections remain on, both in the house and in the office. It is as if the SH3 goes into modem mode automatically, but not totally, as all the wired connections stay on.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have to say that this is new to me. Unless someone has a better idea, I think a replacement hub should be tried.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

How is the Belkin configured for WiFi? Same SSID as the Hub 3?

Have you separated the 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs in the hub (which I recommend) and then have a totally different SSID for the Belkin?

Plus, I never trust a Belkin router - but don't take me too seriously on that as my experience with that brand is more than 10 years ago!

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Super solver
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried as a test, turning on DHCP on the Belkin so it operates as a remote router?

It shouldn't make any difference in theory, but then your problem shouldn't happen in theory either. Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So if you turn the Belkin off the wifi from the hub is ok?

I would say you need to get a new wireless router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.

0 Kudos
FredG123
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I tried separating the 2.4 and 5GHz SSIDs, and I had the belkin on a different SSID anyway, unfortunately still no wifi in the house. Once I turn off the Belkin, i.e. unplug it from the mains, the wifi comes back almost immediately in the house. However, I then have no wired connections or wifi in the office. To overcome this, I have simply put in a 4 way fast Ethernet switch and at least I have all my wired connections back working in the office. I could get a new router for the house, but I really should not have to do that as I am paying enough for the SH3 and it should work as every other router I have had before it did. Plus, the last router I had was also a VM Router, and that worked fine with the Belkin. This problem is very specific to the SH3. What is really annoying is that Virgin Media will not even attempt to give me an answer to this problem when I called them, they say I have to use their high cost call line at 1:50 euro per minute to talk with one of their computer guys.

0 Kudos
xxalanxx
Dialled in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Get a wireless access point and attach it to the switch with an Ethernet cable.

0 Kudos
FredG123
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I had an old TP link 54M Access point lying up, so I've tried it with that, and lo and behold, its working perfectly with that. Although its not the fastest wifi in the world out in the office, it is perfectly acceptable for my use, so thanks again for all the suggestions and help.

0 Kudos