Menu
DeriC
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Adding a wireless router when using Hub 3

Many posters recommend putting Hub3 into modem mode and getting your own wireless router for improved performance and security. I have a large old house and have two obvious questions: -

1) will it improve the performance so that I can stream iPlayer to my TV (I don't have Virgin TV)

2) is this better and or cheaper than the Virgin wi-fi booster?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Adding a wireless router when using Hub 3

@DeriC wrote:

Many posters recommend putting Hub3 into modem mode and getting your own wireless router for improved performance and security. I have a large old house and have two obvious questions: -

1) will it improve the performance so that I can stream iPlayer to my TV (I don't have Virgin TV)

2) is this better and or cheaper than the Virgin wi-fi booster?

1) Almost certainly yes, but I need to qualify with an 'almost' because there are no absolute guarantees. Will it stream to your TV? Well how far away is it, any walls etc. in the way, what are they made of etc. Wifi is a bit of a black art at the best of times.

2) Better - yes, cheaper - no. A wifi router will have far more capabilities than a (poorly named in my opinion) wifi booster, and the VM ones, you may be able to get for free with a bit of bargaining with them.

What I'd do is to get yourself a decent router from somewhere with a no quibble return policy and see how you get on.

John

jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Adding a wireless router when using Hub 3

You should also consider wireless access point(s) or a Mesh wifi sytem.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.