cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add a second router

Leewatts
Joining in

Hi all. Just had virgin installed and the Wi-fi is not strong enough to get to my cabin at the end of the garden. I have brought a TP link Vdsl/ADSL modem router TD-W9970.

I want to hard wire this from my hub 3 and put this to link in the cabin. I’ve tried to set it up but just not working. I can connect to the TP link but no connection. 
I saw a link to put hub 3 into modem only. And this killed everything. I couldn’t change it back. As no Wi-fi. Plugged in cable and still nothing. Just reset box. hopefully back to normal. 
please help how do I configure this. 
thanks in advance. Lee

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

You need a cable router not a DSL router 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

sophist
Trouble shooter

You've bought an ADSL router.. you will be able to get it working, but it's not the right tool for the job.. it's also only a 2.4ghz device.. if budget is tight, consider returning it and buying this instead?   Can't speak for the quality, but it's likely going to be better than what you've bought. 

what you have bought (and what i linked) will not work with the hub in modem mode, you will need to leave the hub in router mode.

That said, if you want to persevere with what you've bought you need to configure the router so that it doesn't conflict with the hub. Make sure that the router doesn't use 192.168.0.1 as an ip address - give it something else, maybe 192.168.0.250 - subnet mask 255.255.255.0.

You also need to make sure that the DHCP server on the new router is disabled.

Then connect the cable to one of the LAN ports and it should all work. If it's still not working, confirm that you have a link light at both ends of the connection (LEDs on the ethernet ports).  

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

You need a cable router not a DSL router 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Hi. Thanks for your reply. With the quality of the one you suggested not know. What should I buy no point going down the route of it might not work. Just go straight in and get the right one. I was told by a virgin engineer this one would work.  Haha. Obviously not. 

It will work (technically the engineer was right), just not particularly well! Since it is a vDSL modem it is possible to use it with the VM hub but it’s going to be more trouble that it’s worth, the network ports are only 100 Meg so if your internet speed is higher than that, this device will throttle anything connected to it down to that speed, also, as already pointed out, the WiFi only uses the (interference prone) 2.4 GHz channels.

I assume that you already have an Ethernet cable from where the VM hub is running down to the cabin, if so then save yourself a lot of pain and get an access point (like the one linked to by @sophist above), install that in the cabin and connected it via Ethernet cable to the VM hub.

@Leewatts wrote:

Hi. Thanks for your reply. With the quality of the one you suggested not know. What should I buy no point going down the route of it might not work. Just go straight in and get the right one. I was told by a virgin engineer this one would work.  Haha. Obviously not. 

what's your budget? I use these, and they are excellent.

Alternatively, this comes with a few ethernet ports incase you want any wired connections.. never used one myself, but am sure it'd be ok.