cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add a backup route from 2nd Wifi network

bokonon
Joining in

Hi, I have the Virgin Hub 3.0 VMDG505 and fibre, all works fine.
I use the wired ethernet port from that hub to run a NUC device, the NUC needs 24/7 internet via ethernet.
I have a second fibre network from Hey Broadband in a separate area of the house (WFH/redundancy) 

What I would like to do, is get the Virgin hub to connect via wifi to the other network, and if the virgin fibre goes down, the virgin hub could still serve the NUC ethernet port using the hey broadband fibre connection.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible ? or do I have to look at a dual-WAN fibre router ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jem101
Superstar

@bokonon wrote:

I use the wired ethernet port from that hub to run a NUC device, the NUC needs 24/7 internet via ethernet.
I have a second fibre network from Hey Broadband in a separate area of the house (WFH/redundancy) 

What I would like to do, is get the Virgin hub to connect via wifi to the other network, and if the virgin fibre goes down, the virgin hub could still serve the NUC ethernet port using the hey broadband fibre connection.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible ? or do I have to look at a dual-WAN fibre router ?

That really isn’t in any way possible I’m afraid, you’ll need a dual WAN router, put the VM hub into modem mode and connect it and the Hey broadband connection to the this router. Connect the NUC to the LAN ports on it and set the failover accordingly.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

jem101
Superstar

@bokonon wrote:

That really isn’t in any way possible I’m afraid, you’ll need a dual WAN router, put the VM hub into modem mode and connect it and the Hey broadband connection to the this router.

jem101
Superstar

@bokonon wrote:

That really isn’t in any way possible I’m afraid, you’ll need a dual WAN router, put the VM hub into modem mode and connect it and the Hey broadband connection to the this router. Connect the NUC to the LAN ports on it and set the failover accordingly.

Client62
Legend

The Hub 3 is Cable Modem / Router they are very dependent on the DOCSIS platform for their firmware and operations.

Plan for some other device to detect and perform the fail over process.

Don't assume the Hub 3 offer WiFi or even network ports if the VM service totally fails.

As a test take the coax cable off the Hub 3, see what functionality is in left after 10 mins !

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

My router, UniFi UDM-Pro, with the latest firmware will do 2 WANs with either PPF+ or RJ45 ports. You can choose load balancing or failover. One downside is it’s expensive. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

do you use your UniFi UDM-Pro with a fibre provided by Virgin?

I believe you without doing the test ! (don't want to disconnect my NUC).
I am not sure I an do what I would like as this is a residential broadband fibre from Virgin, and the fibre connection, hub and virgin TV seem to be interconnected.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I use a SPF+ to RJ45 to get 2.5G to my Hub5.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2