cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Achieving 1Gbps via Hub5

SS31
Tuning in

Hi all, 

Recently upgraded to the 1gig internet service and I have some observations and questions surrounding it and wanted to get other's thoughts.

Here are some recent results from various test sites.

Setup:

• Cable: Cat8, 15m
  • Network Card: 2.5GbE Realtek PCIe
  • Router: Hub5
  • CPU: i9-10750K

While I know my speed is generally looking good, particularly when performing real downloads, I have a few questions:

• Why is samknows/realspeed so vastly incorrect? Is it the same for others? I have never seen it go above 300Mbps, yet apparently is the single most important test for Virgin Media when debugging.
  • Assuming samknows/realspeed is correct and the router is receiving 1.1Gbps - is there anyway I can get access to that full speed? I've never seen a test go above 900 or a download go above 930ish.

I am directly connected (wired) via the 2.5Gbps port on the Hub5. I have tried Safe mode with Networking and got the same results (to rule out software problems).

Cheers!

3 REPLIES 3

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

To get more than 940 on a device it must a) be plugged into the 2.5Ghz port 4 and b) have a network card that supports 2.5Ghz. 
The reason VM use SamKnows is that it measures the speed into and out of the hub, this is the only speeds VM really guarantee as they have no knowledge of what equipment you have connected.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Indeed, both of which I already have in place - stated above.

(the 2.5Gbps port and the network card)

Part of me does wonder if my network card is functioning optimally, though I expect the only way I could test it is if I had another 2.5Gbps networked PC that I could perform tests with.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@SS31 wrote:
  • Why is samknows/realspeed so vastly incorrect? Is it the same for others? I have never seen it go above 300Mbps, yet apparently is the single most important test for Virgin Media when debugging.

Re: Sluggish 500M Broadband - Virgin Media Community - 5178700

---------------------------------------------------------------