cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing CCTV DVR remotely

Jmaks
Joining in

Hello, i would appreciate any guidance please. I have a technomate TM-4 NVR cctv system all hard wired via Ethernet (cameras to NVR & NVR to home router) which works fine and i am able to view pictures over my home wifi (hub3.0).  However, i get an error 'connecting failed' whenever i try to view live pictures using my mobile data/other wifi away from home. Having read similar queries on this blog I did the following

I setup a static IP address on nvr and that is recognised on router (Ping works). i have port forwarded on router all the ports I see on nvr, namely remote port, http port, rtmp & rtsp ports etc all using the fixed IP address allocated to nvr. I stopped the firewall and MAC filtering on router. I have added the nvr IP address to the MAC reserve list. I have enabled port triggering on router with the ports from nvr. The WAN IP address (via google) 30.68...and the internal router IP address 192.168...are different and the router only allows me to add internal IP addresses to port forward, ie the 192.168 digits are fixed on the port forwarding screen. After all this I tried to access both internal and WAN IP addresses on my phone using data, and neither worked, just don‘t get a response and when I try to login to the nvr app I get the same error message ‘connecting failed’.  Away from buying another router that will enable me to setup port forward using the 30.68...ip address, any other advice please?  Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Port fowarding allows you to connect to your WAN address remotely. The router, with port forwarding enabled, allows you to forward requests to a 192.168.0.x locally. As you say you MUST set a static 192.168.0.x address for the DVR for all this to work!

Without giving too much away could you post images of your port forward rules? (Remove MAC addresses).

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
If you can't get it to work use the hub in modem mode and get a router with 1Gb ports.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the quick reply Carl. I shall do that tomorrow.

@Jmaks you need the firewall on the Hub to be switched ON for port forwarding to work - there's also a quirk on the firmware in as much as the ports need to be added in ascending order. MAC filtering is irrelevant and the port triggering isn't needed either.

Thanks for all the replies.  Made the changes as suggested.  So firewall on, ports forwarding in ascending order, deleted changes to MAC filtering and port triggering.  Went back to the android phone in data only mode, tried internal IP address, tries to connect but get nothing.  Tried external WAN address and that got me to the nvr, logged in, but cannot see any pictures.  Logged out, tried again, same, no pictures from the cameras.  Logged out and opened NVR App, same fault message ‘connecting failed’.  

as for port forwarding screen, this is what I have (taken before I rearranged in ascending Port number order) - the port forwarding screen does not require MAC addresses

F5B028DC-CB02-466D-816A-CBBCAB8A51E3.jpegD1645F76-1961-4A4E-8535-F83EF67731A3.jpeg

Sorry not sure if images of the port forwarding page are coming through.  It is just a list of port numbers (eg local range 80-80, external range 80-80) with the protocol TCP or BOTH (tcp & UDA) and all enabled.  Each of these has been assigned to the fixed nvr IP address.  The port forwarding page does not have any MAC address entries.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder if the app is trying to connect directly to the cameras, however can't as they are on the local network as different IPs to the DVR?

Thanks, does it matter that the cameras are hard wired via Ethernet cable into the dvr?  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Each camera may have its own IP address, so a 192.168.0.x.

I don't know how the app works, however if it's trying to retrieve the images from the cameras remotley then it won't work as the only device available remotely is the DVR, through the port forwarding you have setup.

Does each camera work off a specific port?