Menu
docherty
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Access point or additional router for wifi deadspot

Hi

I currently get little or no wifi coverage in one bedroom. There's ethernet cable access in there, so it's not a disaster, but I'd like to use wifi there with a phone/laptop.

I'm thinking of buying an access point or additional router for the room, connected to the ethernet cable. It needs to have ethernet out, too, to connect to a desktop, and I'd like to not lose any speed as a result - I'm on an unusual 150mb package atm. I'm not sure what category speed router I'd need to buy?

I'd also like something that's reasonably unobtrusive and not crazy expensive.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!

0 Kudos
docherty
Joining in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Access point or additional router for wifi deadspot

Also - ideally something with a USB port, that I can plug a hard drive into to make the data accessible on the network.
0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Your best bet is a 5 ports network switch and a good quality Wireless access point. Using USB is not a very good idea, speed is restricted. Best bet is a network attached storage device that you could connect to the switch. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
docherty
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - is it necessary to have two items when a router would presumably do the job?

Fair point re: usb - though it would be mainly for streaming non 4k video. So might usb suffice?

I'm also unclear what speed router or access point I'd need to make full use of my 150 connection?

0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

11n is considered "old"'ish tech now.  It should hopefully do 150 on 2.4 band, and 300 on the 5ghz bands.  

So don't buy 11n, it's old.

11ac should be more than ample to hit your 150.  Some AP's or Routers come with USB3, there are a odd few that even have eSata.  A dedicated NAS wired is the best solution, but there's a lot of options out there.  I would probably look at routers, £100-£150 range.  No recommendations as I don't use any as a media server, the ones I have used in the past have not been great.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

A network attached drive is much superior to a USB attached. You can have a NAS but something like a WD My Cloud is cheaper alternative and has the Ethernet port for connection to a network switch or the hub. Incidentally the network attached drive can be connected to your hub as there is no benefit to having it in your bedroom unless you want to see its lights.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It is, in my opinion, always better to have a device that has one function not many. It’s much easier when thing go wrong to just replace one device out of say 6. I have my own router, just a router, 2 WAP’s and 3 Network Switches. If any one totally fails it’s much cheaper to just replace it. Also it makes it much easier with updates. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos