Menu
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Access Points

Is it best to Ethernet wire 3 x Access Points to a Switch then Ethernet the Switch to port1 on the Hub4...... or ..... Ethernet wire each Access Point Separately to port1 / port2 / port3 on the Hub4 

Does using three separate ports on the back of the Hub4  make any difference , DHCP , port forwarding, etc.

VM happy camper
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Access Points

Depends if you want to make use of the ports later on the hub or not

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply,  for the moment let’s forget whether I want the use of the Hub4  ports or not, 

Is it better for the chipset inside the Hub4?

to handle 3 x access points all going into one port

or to separate them to help the Hub4 chipset motherboard 

VM happy camper
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Either way, it still has to handle and doing the routing for 3 ethernet connections, regardless of the switch or not.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

"Either way, it still has to handle and doing the routing for 3 ethernet connections, regardless of the switch or not."

not true.
If the traffic on the LAN is not going over the internet it will not touch the hub.

With the limited power of routers i always connect access points to a switch and then just the switch to the router that way the only traffic the router has to worry about is anything going to or from the internet and not lan side

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Superfast
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks

@apcyberax wrote:
"Either way, it still has to handle and doing the routing for 3 ethernet connections, regardless of the switch or not."

not true.
If the traffic on the LAN is not going over the internet it will not touch the hub.

With the limited power of routers i always connect access points to a switch and then just the switch to the router that way the only traffic the router has to worry about is anything going to or from the internet and not lan side

apcyberax
Is port1 (top) and port2 (second down) better than port3 and port4 on the back of the Hub4 router , or are all 4 Ethernet ports equally the same ?

wondering which is best port to plug the Switch into (after listening to your advice)

VM happy camper
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello

All ports are equal it makes not difference which port you use, port forwarding is not dependant on the physical hardware of the hub, port forwarding depends on the IP address of the device.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

But the Hub4 has to look at all the Mac addresses, and then the Reserve List DHCP list, then check the ports forwarding list, then issue the correct DHCP ip Lan port address.

Surely,  it must be doing some work on the chipset? 
{or am I over thinking the situation}

VM happy camper
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

You are over thinking it. The hub stores a list of MAC address / pairs inside of memory so accessing this is pretty quick, the physical port that a device is connected has no relation at all to the IP/MAC pairs. Only when a device connects will it looks up the reservation for the MAC address this is done when the device is powered on, during day to day usage it will not look up the reservation unless the device is powered off, you can test this as if you change the reservation IP address the device will not change the IP address unless rebooted or on Windows you renew the lease.

Regards Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Very helpful and I am very thankful 

@DJ_Shadow1966 wrote:

Hello

You are over thinking it. The hub stores a list of MAC address / pairs inside of memory so accessing this is pretty quick, the physical port that a device is connected has no relation at all to the IP/MAC pairs. Only when a device connects will it looks up the reservation for the MAC address this is done when the device is powered on, during day to day usage it will not look up the reservation unless the device is powered off, you can test this as if you change the reservation IP address the device will not change the IP address unless rebooted or on Windows you renew the lease.

Regards Mike

VM happy camper
0 Kudos